WWII PT Boat trainer models?

I have three of these WWII PT Boats and I'm thinking they were made WWII? they measure 1 1/2" H X 1 3/4" W X 6 1/2" L I'm wondering if they are WWII model kits/ toys or used for WWII US Navy training in WWII? They are very nice detail wood models I've had them for a long time and the three came together when I found them. Any Ideas?

Craig

post-7997-0-73156800-1413506875.jpg

post-7997-0-17420300-1413506893.jpg

post-7997-0-26272300-1413506914.jpg

Craig

Looks like the wooden toys from the 40s.Some were fairly crude others better made.

I have a hand made submarine and an aircraft carrier with small wheels that is actually maker stamped.Have a wooden artillery piece here some place as welll.

Quite a few of the funiture stores made toys as there was a need for wooden toys as most of the metal was being diverted to the war effort.

One time my dad was telling me how he and the neighbors were playing Army.THey had all types of german gear as his buddies brothers were sending stuff home from Africa and Italy.He said I left my .45 out side and the next day it was ruined.It had rained that night and his ".45" was one made out of pressed sawdust and glue molded into the shape of a pistol.The rain had sofented it and he said it looked like a pile of soggy cereal.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool little boats!

I recall reading somewhere that such things were also something wounded vets were encouraged to make in statewide hospitals, as part of their physical therapy programs. Supplies and plans were provided, tools, etc and then they were built.

I wonder if Sears Roebuck or other such places had catalogs in the WW2 or immediate post war years, and if maybe something like these was in them?

• 4 months later...
Barracuda Bob

I believe these PT are manufactured for sale in dime stores during WW II. I have one just like it in my collection. I also have two aircraft carriers with the exact same hulls as the PT.

Best,

Barracuda Bob

post-162030-0-62234000-1456156489.jpg