CVAN-65 (Enterprise) Ship Patches

Militiaman

Hey guys,

I recently picked these up and thought I would post them. If I had to guess, I'd say these are mid 60's to early 70's vintage, but I don't know. Can anyone advise? Also, does anyone have any idea why the back of the larger patches have been numbered? For scale purposes, the smaller (Japanese made, I think) patch is 3" across.

Thanks!

Rob.

post-9460-0-62043000-1413499425.jpg

As far as the numbering on the back of the larger patches, I am guessing the seller of these patches acquired a patch collection which they have been selling off in smaller groups. I speculate the original owner, or collector, of the patches numbered them on the back and it is a date code as to when he or she acquired that particular patch. I say this having seen the backs of several of the patches this dealer has sold and many of them are numbered like this. I even have a couple like this from the same seller myself.

Quite possible, thanks for the information.

If that's the case, I sure wish they would tag/label them by placing them in marked bags, or use a sticky note (or similar method). Marking on them directly sure is an aggressive way to treat a piece of history, regardless if it's a collectable or a piece of merchandise to the owner. I must admit on the two examples I have, the numbers appear to have been made by the same hand.

Rob.

• 5 months later...