Some "Family heirlooms": 11th ACR, early 1960's

Martinjmpr

My dad's been "downsizing" since he moved to a new house a couple of years ago and he's started asking which of us kids wants some of his old military stuff.

Dad was an officer in the 11th ACR from 1959 - 1963 when they patrolled the border between West Germany and Czechoslovakia. My brother was born in Munich in '60 and I was born there in '61. Dad started off as a platoon leader in G-troop at the Rohrenbach Border Camp.

They had M-38 and later M-151 Jeeps that they patrolled the border with and on the spare tire they hung these wooden insignias. This one was presented to my dad when he left the platoon to go to become the troop (company) XO. It is signed on the back by the guys in the platoon.

post-154311-0-04330600-1413474349.jpg

Note the 7th Army ("seven steps to hell") logo, which was their unit patch. The 11th ACR didn't get its own "Blackhorse" patch until a few years later.

very cool.

Especially since they belonged to your dad.

Not many of the tire covers would have survived in my option.

Thanks for posting.Always love seeing the items from post war use and military service.

Did your dad still have his uniform (s)

very cool.

Especially since they belonged to your dad.

Not many of the tire covers would have survived in my option.

Thanks for posting.Always love seeing the items from post war use and military service.

Did your dad still have his uniform (s)

Thanks!

Sadly most of the uniforms were given away or used as Halloween costumes sometime in the 70's. I do remember that for years Dad's old garrison cap was in the closet with his captain's bars on it and his coat was hanging in the basement of Mom's condo (mom and dad were divorced in 1978.)

I do have some other mementos that I'll post up, most notably his helmet cover from Vietnam.

Thanks!

Sadly most of the uniforms were given away or used as Halloween costumes sometime in the 70's. I do remember that for years Dad's old garrison cap was in the closet with his captain's bars on it and his coat was hanging in the basement of Mom's condo (mom and dad were divorced in 1978.)

I do have some other mementos that I'll post up, most notably his helmet cover from Vietnam.

Thanks for the reply.

Great stuff.

Great stuff, cant wait to see the helmet cover!....mike

Helmet cover picture is posted, topic is "another souvenier from Dad."