'Krags' in the A.E.F.

RustyCanteen

Thanks for the cross-posting. Very interesting and I'll have to spend more time reading it in detail.

t6

Combat Engineer 1971 to 1996

Hi,

You're welcome. I thought it might be of interest to everyone here in the Firearms & Ordnance section.

RC

Here are a few stateside images showing Krags in training usage by unknown units:

k1.jpg

With closeup since the Krags are hard to see:

k2.jpg

Another:

k3.jpg

With closeup:

k4.jpg

And the last:

k5.jpg

Closeup:

k6.jpg

For those who read the 'The Yanks are Coming!' thread linked in the first post, even though there is no evidence the 12th Engineers Krags were fired in anger, I still think it has it's place in a WWI US small arms collection. It should be remembered that the Battle of Cambrai was the first campaign in which US Army troops took part in during WWI. Collectors often think of the Infantry campaigns from April-November 1918 as being the active portion of US fighting and neglect the earlier campaigns.

Further thoughts,

Given the events of Cambrai, and later, in March 1918, it would not be out of line to consider the appropriate 1907-1918 vintage .303 British Short Magazine, Lee-Enfield as an auxiliary weapon of the A.E.F. Aside from it's role in training and issuance later in 1918, it was carried either in fighting or in preparation for combat against German offensives by the American Engineers. The 6th Engineer regiment also contributed to a hasty defense of Amiens in March 1918 and would likely have made use of the British rifles as the other regiments did. During both the battle of Cambrai, and later the Somme Defensive, British small arms were issued and carried by various American Engineer regiments working with the British 3rd, 4th, and 5th Armies. Mostly this was due to the supply situation since the British .303 cartridge was in abundant supply, naturally.

In any event, I hope this is of interest to some. Please feel free to add your thoughts, experiences, or observations as well.

RC

I have some pictures of guards armed with the Krag rifle during WWI. I'll have to dig them out. I may also have pictures of cadets using Krag rifles for training.

As for the British SMLE, it's on my long list to acquire due its use by US troops during WWI.

Hi thorin, please do post them if you can.

I will start a thread on US use of the SMLE where we can discuss that too.

RC

Here are a couple of pictures showing Krags during WWI:

First, this is titled: "Volley Fire!" by Two Student Companies of the University of Illinois, Urbana, Ill.

post-11546-0-59591500-1413507153.jpg

• 1 month later...
world war I nerd

Here's a photo that Jagjetta sent me for a post I'm working on about AEF gas equipment.

In it a Chemical Service soldier is carrying a Krag rifle during a mock gas attack at the Chemical Service testing facility on Long Island, New York sometime in 1918.

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-06044700-1418528044.jpg

WWINerd,

Great view of the krag in training!

PS - Good luck with your post, I love WWI gas masks but it is so darn hard to find good period photos of them. One of the first model gas [mask] haversacks was used in abundance by the cast of 'The Big Parade' in 1925. Probably because they were dumped soon after the war since they were outclassed and their training usefulness was about gone by then.

If you would like assistance on that project let me know, I can probably dig up some more photos too.

RC

The second one is titled: Fighters from the United States Navy-One of the "Reasons Why" We Won.

Great photos! The Navy used a lot of Krags as guard as training weapons in WWI. It looks like most of those rifles the sailors carry have M1901 rear sights, but it is hard to be certain.

RC

RC,

I believe that at least one aviation unit had Krags during the war too besides engineers. I was at a local estate auction which included the items of a ww1 aviation officer who was in charge of the 2nd Aviation repair facility in France. The sale included all of his gear as well as a bunch of cool items he had made from spare airplane wood/props. I only ended up with few items as there was a guy there with deep pockets who wouldn't be denied. In one lot I bought there were 3 or 4 empty bandoliers of krag ammo in his trunk. Based upon the stuff he had and the way it was packed (didn't appear touched), that his unit must have been armed with them. Only a guess but an assumption that I'm sticking with. Great article and piece you put together in the other link.

Regards,

CC