On the Trail of the 45th Inf Division

rlyoun3910

I was on the trail of the 45th Infantry Division looking at places my grandfather had seen. Obviously the first picture is from him (I do not know the individuals ) and the second is my discovery of the same house in Boebenthal Germany, right on the French border near Permisans GE. From a military standpoint, I have no idea why they would engage the enemy here as there's highground all around. Most probably they were forced to. Not many paths up these mountains, actually heading north into Germany from France.

post-115509-0-70775000-1413250170.jpg

post-115509-0-57151500-1413250185.jpg

Woow Great Pics.

I do live about 40 miles north of Bobenthal, visited the area many times. The woods and hills in this area, close to the french border on german side and also on the french side were full of small observation bunkers, blockhouses and even many natural caves, that were used for shelter, so I would say, they just had to take care. Looks like they had just arrived to Bobenthal coming form Wissembourg (F). I guess the picture was taken end of January or in early February 1945, right after the failiure of german Operation Nordwind.

I'd think they probably just jumped out of their jeep for a posed shot next to the signpost, judging by the lack of equipment being carried and the quite "posed" look to the shot.

Great to find the exact place though - well done!

Cheers,

Glen.

Excellent pic comparison! I do agree it is likely a posed shot from a recon element or possibly even the signal corps photo team.

Well, could be posed, but still to keep in mind, that the Nordwind operation in this area that just took place in the weeks before taking this picture caused about 15000 casualties for the IV U.S. Corps.