Hawaii

Hiya chaps,

I'm heading back to Oahu, Hawaii in November and was wondering if there are any surplus stores on the island. I was there back in 2012 and had a quick look-see around but couldn't find anything (I was on my honeymoon so didn't look too hard!). On the web, the only store I've found is Camouflage Shop Inc. up near Schofield Barracks.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

Tom

The Neal Blaisdell Center gunshow is a good one 250+tables, 2 shows, one in the fall and one in the Spring. I got a lot of good stuff at the fall show.

Thanks again fellas. I've checked out the Neal Blaisdell Center and, sadly, the gun-show dates for this year have been and gone. Guess I'll just have to go back again next year :) I'm sure my wife won't mind, any excuse for more sun and sandy beaches lol

• 2 months later...

Good tip on the gunshow! I Checked out the swap meet at the aloha stadium last weekend and there was one booth with some used field gear...a bags and some old ACU's. Otherwise almost exclusively souvenir type stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

If you are going to do the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, as GWB and Timmer suggested, the weekend days have many more tables/vendors versus the Wednesday swap meet. It's mostly tourist stuff, but once in awhile you can score militaria.

Also, although not exactly what you asked about, but the US Army Museum of Hawaii at Ft. DeRussy in Oaho is definitely worth a visit ... most people know about the Military Cemetery at the Punchbowl and the USS Arizona Memorial, but this little museum packs alot in:

http://www.hiarmymuseumsoc.org/visit.html

Hiya fellas,

Thanks for the recent posts,

Baron, cheers for the heads up regarding the gun show dates. My wife and I are planning another trip to Hawaii in 2017 so I'll be sure to plan the dates accordingly haha.

Cobra, thank you for your suggestion to visit Fort DeRussy. You're spot on, it's an excellent museum and well worth the visit. My wife even liked walking around it! I enjoyed it (and chatting with the staff/volunteers) so much on my 2012 visit that when I went back last year I took my friends too. We also enjoyed walking around the little three room 25th ID museum at Schofield Barracks. Almost enjoyed driving around the base almost as much I did in the museum lol!

Anyhow Mahalo niu loa fellas :)

Is Schofield still an open base as far as access? Driving around and looking at the historic quads is certainly a good part of the tour.

I forgot to mention there is an air museum located in the historic hangers on Ford Island now. It includes some of the aircraft that were on display at Hickam, as well as some added items, including a B-17 that was recovered from the swamps in New Guiana.

For those who have not been back to the islands lately (like myself) there is now a long overdue cause way that allows you to drive out to Ford Island, which is in the center of Pearl Harbor. During the war, it was a naval airfield.

You can get on Schofield, but you need a visitors pass if you don't have a military ID.Full details:

http://www.garrison.hawaii.army.mil/tlm/visit-us.html

Ford Island you cannot get on without a Military ID or someone in your car with one "sponsoring" you. The public takes buses from the Arizona Memorial directly to the Aviation Museum and USS Missouri. BTW, I was not terribly impressed with the aviation museum. It's $25 per adult for admission. If you've been to Pensacola, Wright-Patterson, SASM at Offut, or even Chino they don't have anything you haven't seen before. The only cool thing is the B-17 swamp ghost, but still at $25 per person it is highway robbery for admission considering whats inside the museum.