Counter guerrilla tab and patch, what is it? ID: Army ROTC at Sam Houston State University

ocsfollowme

I picked up a civilian jacket with a bunch of Air Force training squadron patches on it, and this one was on the sleeve. I did a search and the tab was listed as a 5th SF insignia, but those all had a hyphen between the counter and guerrilla and this one does not. Is this US even? Thanks in advance.

post-122868-0-38580300-1413211917.jpg

If memory serves me correctly, the Counter Guerrilla patch was for an ROTC unit.

In the 1970's, many ROTC programs had "Ranger" units which provided more intense tactical training for those who volunteered for it. While most stuck with the name "Ranger" some used more exotic titles, such as Counter Guerrilla.

The Red Rifles might be the same, or it might be a drill team.

Yes I think the red rifles is rotc or academy related. At least four ritz/academy patches on this. Lots of training squadron patches too, so an SF unit would be random...unless a pilot transported a team and picked one up that way in passing.

If you search 'counter guerrilla' on eBay, the tab comes up repeatedly with the 5th SF on it.

According to the Trading Post, Clemson University used a patch with "Clemson counter guerrillas" but was one piece and totally different than this.

I believe a variety of ROTC units had sub-units ("clubs" is probably just as accurate a term), that used the "Counter Guerilla" designation during the 1960's. It wasn't just a Clemson thing.

I found some things on the internet about ROTC using "Counter Guerrilla."

The tab and patch do not in construction. The tab appears to be foreign made, somewhere in Asia.

post-122868-0-09430900-1413510029.jpg

Yes, "Counter Guerrilla" was a phase used by others than just ROTC, but that doesn't really prove anything. So were "Ranger" and "Raider".

I think its still pretty safe to say that this patch combo is ROTC related, as similar "Counter Guerrilla" tabs have surfaced in that context in the past.

As for this tab, I don't think it looks PI made at all. The letters a very crisp and symmetrical. Honestly, neither piece look "theater made" to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I know these patches because I wore them for 4 years while in Army ROTC at Sam Houston State University back in the 1970's.

The Counterguerrilla arc, actually a semi circle, was worn over the left shoulder. The CG patch was worn on the left pocket of the old OG green fatigues.

Also, on the back of your jean jacket is the official school patch for Sam Houston ROTC, orange w/ white star. The 2 patches were often sewn on windbreakers and civi clothes like you see it here,, arc over pocket patch.

The Counter Guerrilla Companies were actually a nationwide program within the Army's ROTC program. Started in 1963, in response to JFK's interest and desire to combat the emergence of guerrilla warfare worldwide. He directed the Pentagon to establish counter guerrilla forces, which lead to the expansion of the Army's SF, the establishment of the Navy's SEALS, and mandatory training of the officer corps at West Point and ROTC colleges.

The CG Co at Sam Houston State was the very first one stood up in the Army ROTC. Each school made up their own patch. The one you have is exactly like mine. Many schools went with the CG name, but others gave it a flair with their school's mascot name or other local name in front of Rangers, Raiders, etc. We also wore a black beret w/ black and red flash, jump boots, and black shoulder cord.

If you want to sell/trade/dispose of these CG patches, I am interested.

Thank you for the positive ID. I remembered half of the story, but I could not pin it to a specific university.

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is a photo of the CG cadets from 1972. Note the pocket patch, shoulder tab, black beret w/ red flash and school ROTC crest.

post-154791-0-09143600-1414713154.jpg

BRAVO that is an awesome pic.The guidon is very cool.You should seriously consider writing an article for ASMIC's TRADING POST about this patch and other CG & RANGER ROTC patches.

BRAVO that is an awesome pic.The guidon is very cool.You should seriously consider writing an article for ASMIC's TRADING POST about this patch and other CG & RANGER ROTC patches.

Thanks firefighter.

That might be do-able, since I have a collected a bunch of info on this subject. . We just had our 50 year anniversary reunion last year for the Counter Guerrilla Co. One of these days, I was planning on setting up a website for my university's ROTC history. Today, the unit is called Schuder's Rangers (yes, there is a scroll); as do most all college ROTCs which have extracurricular ranger unit to compliment the ROTC Ranger Challenge program

I may start collecting these kind of patches.

I am not in ASMIC, can point me the right direction for this?

Here is the scroll velcro patch for the Schuder's Rangers at SHSU, in Huntsville, Tx This is their current SSI.

It is named after SSG Raymond "Jack" Schuder, a WWII Ranger and POW. He got involved in training the old Counter Guerrilla's in the 1980's and became their mentor and benefactor. He and his wife set up a $20,000 scholarship fund. Each recipient gets a $500 check and an original Sykes-Fairburn Commando knife.

post-154791-0-15912100-1414854978.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 10/29/2014 at 8:44 PM, Bravo5six said:

I know these patches because I wore them for 4 years while in Army ROTC at Sam Houston State University back in the 1970's.

The Counterguerrilla arc, actually a semi circle, was worn over the left shoulder. The CG patch was worn on the left pocket of the old OG green fatigues.

Also, on the back of your jean jacket is the official school patch for Sam Houston ROTC, orange w/ white star. The 2 patches were often sewn on windbreakers and civi clothes like you see it here,, arc over pocket patch.

The Counter Guerrilla Companies were actually a nationwide program within the Army's ROTC program. Started in 1963, in response to JFK's interest and desire to combat the emergence of guerrilla warfare worldwide. He directed the Pentagon to establish counter guerrilla forces, which lead to the expansion of the Army's SF, the establishment of the Navy's SEALS, and mandatory training of the officer corps at West Point and ROTC colleges.

The CG Co at Sam Houston State was the very first one stood up in the Army ROTC. Each school made up their own patch. The one you have is exactly like mine. Many schools went with the CG name, but others gave it a flair with their school's mascot name or other local name in front of Rangers, Raiders, etc. We also wore a black beret w/ black and red flash, jump boots, and black shoulder cord.

If you want to sell/trade/dispose of these CG patches, I am interested.

Bravo5six,

I would love to see a picture of the black and red or red flash that was worn by the ROTC unit so I can see it's designed. If no photo exists showing that kind of detail, could you describe it's design to me please?