Query regarding the TOPGUN concept

ka bar

Hi guys...

I am trying to get my head around the benefits of the TOPGUN training school...

I understand that it was created after the huge losses of fighter pilots during Operation Rolling Thunder in the VN war...

But what is is that the school actually teaches?

Don't pilots learn dogfighting skills during their basic training?

The movie seems to only do practice manoeuvering which I assumed would be covered in training anyways....

Could someone explain it to me in layman's terms please?

Typically a fleet squadron sends one of their best young aviators to the school. The young aviator gets to mix it up with some of the best pilots the USN has to offer. It is hoped and expected that these young aviators will learn a lot going against the veteran instructors. Once they finish the class the young aviators are expected to return to their fleet squadron and share their experiences and lessons learned with the other junior aviators.

This training is advanced training at a higher level, and not everyone gets to go. Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks hink...

Yeah, kinda helps...

Is any member from USMF a USN Naval Aviator?

It would be great to chat with them!

Well, I am not a Naval Aviator, but I was in Naval Aviation for over 20 years. I am a retired Aviation Maintenance Chief Petty Officer. I did a couple of tours in F-14 squadrons and have some knowledge on the Navy Fighter Weapons School.

Chris

No I never flew in F-14s. I was an enlisted man, my job was a Maintenance Control Chief Petty Officer for a Fleet F-14A squadron. It was my job to keep 14 F-14A aircraft maintained and flying. Our squadron sent aviators through the course at NAS Fallon.

Chris