Chelsea Ships/Marine Corps Clock- Radium Danger?

ViewfinderGyrene

Greetings!

This would look fantastic on a spare piece of wall space I have at the moment, but something simply must be cleared up first: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chelsea-U-S-MARINE-CORPS-WW2-CLOCK-Boston-Military-WORKS-Bakelite-USMC-Ships-/171499075464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ee243788#ht_5170wt_1103

Is there a risk of radioactive residue? I have always heard that such clocks were painted with Radium-based paint, but I didn't know which ones were and which ones weren't. Certainly seems like this one was because of the strong glowing green around the face.

Opinions?

Many thanks, I wasn't sure where to post.

ViewfinderGyrene

That is a pretty rough looking example. It appears to have gotten water in it at one time. I don't know if you would ever be able to clean up the face or not. At least at a reasonable price. If you buy it I would take it in to a good repair guy and have the mechanism cleaned and lubed. If it did get wet the mechanism is probably corroded and on borrowed time. If there is still any radium left on those old Chelseas and it is toxic there will be a lot of collectors and clock guys in trouble.

ViewfinderGyrene

Haha, great humor gentlemen. I'll remember not to mistake it for a popsicle ;)

I actually know a Bulge veteran who repairs watches and clocks, so I'm in good shape if I win B)

Certainly agree on the price, why is it that so many people see these and knock the price to the moon? The last MC one I saw was listed for over a year for 2G??? Someone was missing something...never sold.

ViewfinderGyrene

vintageproductions

This is another situation where these items cross over into many other collectible fields.

Military, time pieces, nautical, vintage clothing, etc , are all groups that buy these type clocks.