Legion of Valor of the United States of America, Inc.

KevinBeyer

LOV_insignia.png

LEGION OF VALOR OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, INC.

The following is excerpted from the Legion of Valor's website. Its reproduction here is meant for educational purposes and for information.

The Legion of Valor was organized on April 23, 1890, in Washington, DC, by a group of Civil War and Indian War Campaign veterans who were recipients of the Medal of Honor. At its inception, the name was “The Medal of Honor Legion”.

The membership was augmented following the Spanish Campaign of 1898 and following the Philippines Insurrection. The membership was never large and with the passage of years and subsequent demise of members, on November 25, 1918, the recipients of the Army Distinguished Service Cross, the second ranking Army decoration for extraordinary heroism, were admitted to membership.

In 1933, members of the United States Navy and Marine Corps, who were recipients of the Navy Cross, the second ranking Navy decoration for extraordinary heroism, were invited to join the membership and the name of this prestigious organization was changed to “The Army and Navy Legion of Valor”.

On August 4, 1955, Public Law 224, 84th Congress, incorporated The Army and Navy Legion of Valor of the United States. With the creation of the Air Force Medal of Honor and the Air Force Cross, the membership invited the recipients of these medals to become members and on June 21, 1961, with P.L. 87-56, the name of this elite organization became the “Legion of Valor of the United States of America, Inc”.

LOV1900Brooklyn.jpg

Reunion badge for the 10th annual Medal of Honor Legion reunion held in Brooklyn, N.Y., on September 12, 1900.

With the very small number of recent recipients and the dwindling numbers of older recipients, how can this organization sustain itself (and all of its assets) into the future? Or will it simply fade away?

uniformcollector

With the very small number of recent recipients and the dwindling numbers of older recipients, how can this organization sustain itself (and all of its assets) into the future? Or will it simply fade away?

Maybe it will do something like the Polar Bear Club where relatives or interested historians will keep it together.

LOV1925Pittsburgh_b.jpg

Reunion badge for the 35th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Pittsburgh, Pa on November 10, 11, 12, 1925.

LOV1926Philadelphia3_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 36th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Philadelphia, Pa, on October 4, 5, 6, 1925.

(The obverse of the ribbon has faded with exposure to sunlight.)

LOV1929Buffalo2_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 39th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Philadelphia, Pa, on August 11, 12, 13, 14, 1929.

LOV1930HarrisburgPa2_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 39th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Philadelphia, Pa, on July 13, 14, 15, 16, 1930.

(The obverse of the ribbon has faded with exposure to sunlight.)

LOV1931Boston3_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 41st annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Boston, Ma, on August 9, 10, 11, 12, 1930.

LOV1932Baltimore4_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 42nd annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Boston, Ma, on September 11, 12, 13, 14, 1932

LOV1933NewYork4_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 43rd annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in New York, NY, on September 10, 11, 12, 13, 1933.

LOV1934NewportRI2.jpg

Reunion badge for the 44th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Newport, R.I., on August 5, 6, 7, 8, 1934.

LOV1936_pendant2_600.jpg

Reunion badge (pendant only) for the 46th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Cincinnati, Oh., on August 31 to September 2, 1936.

LOV1938Pittsburgh2_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 48th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Pittsburgh, Pa., on November 10, 11, 12, 1938.

LOV1939QueensCountyNY2_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 49th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in New York, N.Y., on July 6, 7, 8, 9, 1939. The ribbon says it was held in Queens County.

LOV1945Philadelphia2_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 45th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Philadelphia, Pa., on November 10, 11, 12, 1945.

It has taken me almost 15 years to find these examples of Medal of Honor Legion and Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion badges. I welcome any new additions to this topic. If you have any badges of this type that you are willing to trade, or sell, please let me know. I am looking for examples in the best condition possible. I would gladly upgrade any of the above to better condition if possible.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

LOV1919Columbus3.jpg

Reunion badge for the 29th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Columbus, Oh., Pa., September 9, 1919.

LOV1946Buffalo_1000.jpg

Reunion badge for the 56th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Buffalo, NY, on July 21, 22, 23, 24, 1946.

It appears that I forgot to post two more of my Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion badges. I am still seeking to add more to my collection. If anyone has any for trade, or sale, please let me know.

• 1 month later...

LOV1988ArlingtonVa_750.jpg

I am not certain as to the history of this piece. It is my assumption that post WWII, like other Veterans' Organizations, the use of reunion badges waned due to cost. How it came to be that Coors contributed this souvenir/advertisement piece to the event is unknown to me. These "dogtags" are made from aluminum.

Army & Navy Legion of Valor National Convention held in Arlington, Va, August 3 - 6, 1988.

Steve Ritchie, the Air Force's only pilot ace in Vietnam, worked for Adolph Coors for a number of years in the 1980s. As an Air Force Cross recipient, Ritchie was probably a Legion of Valor member and saw the public relations value of corporate sponsorship by Coors.

The Legion of Valor used to do a members magazine, I have about 35 issues from the 1930's. They typically have very interesting photos of members on the covers, as well as society and member news content. Here is a cover from a random example....

post-2256-0-08872900-1420994516.jpg

• 5 months later...

LOV1936Cincinatti_1000.jpg

Reunion badge (complete with ribbon and suspension bar) for the 46th annual Army & Navy Legion of Valor reunion held in Cincinnati, Oh., on August 31 to September 2, 1936.