Paratrooper Boots Renovation

Gene

I have a pair of size 9 USKIDE sole marked paratrooper boots that could use some cleaning up and freshening. The tops have kind of folded over and are somewhat stiff. if I could get them professionally cleaned up I would prefer to go that route. They've been neglected for years and I'd like to "bring them back" to their former luster. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I have a pair of size 9 USKIDE sole marked paratrooper boots that could use some cleaning up and freshening. The tops have kind of folded over and are somewhat stiff. if I could get them professionally cleaned up I would prefer to go that route. They've been neglected for years and I'd like to "bring them back" to their former luster. Thanks!

Post a picture. Maybe that will get a lttle more action.

Neatsfoot oil would do wonders for you, I'm sure.

-Ski

Neatsfoot oil should NEVER be used as a treatment for old leather. I've been collecting Military saddles for over 40 years, and have used nothing but Pecard leather treatment. Black Rock is also excellent. Neatsfoot oil was originally formulated as an ointment for horse's hooves and was never meant for leather. Besides degrading the leather, it will in time completely rot out the stitching.

George.

Neatsfoot oil should NEVER be used as a treatment for old leather. I've been collecting Military saddles for over 40 years, and have used nothing but Pecard leather treatment. Black Rock is also excellent. Neatsfoot oil was originally formulated as an ointment for horse's hooves and was never meant for leather. Besides degrading the leather, it will in time completely rot out the stitching.

George.

Ditto for Pecard's (and ditto bad for neatsfoot.) The best way to preserve leather though is to not let it get stiff in the first place. Once it starts to go, either via cracking or dry rot, about the best you can do is stop the deterioration. You can't roll it back. I'd say massage Pecard's into bopth the inside and outside surfaces of the leather and once it's been worked in and absorded, polish the boots with a quality polish (use paste, not the squeeze bottle bottle stuff.)

Like Bill in Va said, use paste not Kiwi or other supermarket polishes. Contains petroleum and dries the leather. Dave

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

I third the motion on Pecard... great stuff..I have seen it work wonders on an old A-2 jacket..