Armed Forces decorations/service ribbon chart w/MOH

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Picked this up at an auction today as I couldn't go wrong on the price. Not really my area of interest but it intrigued me. The MOH looks old but im not sure how to date it.

Is there anything specifically scarce on this display ? Thank you.

Regards,Michael

post-3581-0-66853700-1413067057.jpg

post-3581-0-35393000-1413067065.jpg

That thing is pretty cool! I have not seen one like it before in that yours appears to have Vietnamese awards on it, ROTC awards, and a few other odd ones.

I wonder if it was made for and used by an ROTC unit or in an ROTC facility or office?

Who ever made this up did it alphabetically not in order of precedence as it should be if it was hanging in a military office.The Vietnam service ribbon, 3 stars, is theater made.Not sure about the other Vietnam awards.I would say the board is from the early 70's.

FightenIrish35

Thank you for the feedback guys. After looking through these ribbons I see now they had a ribbon for almost everything on this chart. There is even a variety of ribbons for NASA on this chart. I even found a civil war campaign ribbon that looks very flat and early. This is very intriguing.

The Brevet ribbon looks interesting.Interesting to see, CROSS, NAVY instead of Navy Cross.And whats up with the Combat & Expert Infantry in the gold frame.Looks like the color for the streamer but I don't think they ever issued a unit citation.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=15599&CategoryId=9159&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

uniformcollector

I agree that this board is far off as far as the correct order, but is one of the most complete I have seen! The Korean ribbons are nice as well.

Are they glued or pinned on? Also, it looks like some of the ribbons are missing and pictures of the ribbons are visible under others that are slightly misaligned. I wonder if this was a poster that someone decided to "bring to life" with real ribbons. Regardless, I quite like it. Congrats!

Rob.

That's one of the most complete ribbon boards I've seen! If it were me, I'd open it up and complete it. That would be a very cool display piece!!!

I agree with Dave.Most of the ribbons that are left are common.Should be easy to complete.There are some harder to find ones, ROK & NSA.

I've always had an interest in these types of boards and yours is the finest and most complete example I've seen so far..great acquisition!

FightenIrish35

Thank you very much. Yes it seems to be a poster with ribbon pictures on it and some collected original ribbons to complete. One ribbon that is missing has just has a white box with award name that is missing. I think when u get home tonight I may just take chart out to see how they are applied to board. About 7 ribbons that are missing are ROTC Awards so I wondered if it was an ROTC student project or done on his free time. The board is properly framed. I got this board , a ww2 poster advertising sale for ties for officer armed Air Force uniforms - on the board is a sample of tie design , and 2 recruitment officer posters dated 42 showing medals and ranks for 30 bucks so I couldn't pass it up.

$30?! That's awesome. I have been wanting one of these for awhile now and would love to just get an Army one. I would have paid a lot more for what you got and think you got an amazing deal.

Mike

That is awesome! Is it even legal to buy the MOH ribbon now-a-days? What a deal and a genuine official "heck of a find" - for sure!!!

When the MOH ribbon is in a display board or manufacturer display, according to the FBI, it is legal to buy and sell such items. So yes, it is legal.

When the MOH ribbon is in a display board or manufacturer display, according to the FBI, it is legal to buy and sell such items. So yes, it is legal.

OK, great. I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. Good to know that not everything is illegal now-a-days! Still,

the MOH ribbon would be hard to get if the display needed one. It's a great display.

FightenIrish35

Thank you very much for the responses guys. From what I've been told though no matter what the MOH is on it still illegal to purchase. I would dread to get in trouble for not understanding the law.

Thank you very much for the responses guys. From what I've been told though no matter what the MOH is on it still illegal to purchase. I would dread to get in trouble for not understanding the law.

Hilborn-Hamburger ribbon boards are fairly common and have been sold publically many times over the past few years. Two different FBI offices told me that those boards are fine to buy and sell.

If they were not, then the silly law would require us to remove the MOH ribbon from the boards thus destroying a historical item to comply (which is ridiculous). In addition, the Boston FBI office told me that it was fine to purchase uniforms that included the MOH ribbon for the same reason.

I know I know, there are debates about this issue, but can you imagine the outcry if you had to take scissors to a MOH uniform and cut out the MOH ribbon to please illogical congressmen who wrote this crazy law?

All I know is that I have seen MOH uniforms and display boards containing MOH ribbons sold publically for many years without incident and with FBI knowledge and review. In contrast, I have not seen an actual medal of honor sold publically in the US for at least 15 years.

Does the LAW apply to home made boards like the one above? If so anyone can make a board just to protect themselves.I know the H-H boards are ok, from other threads people have posted.

Does the LAW apply to home made boards like the one above? If so anyone can make a board just to protect themselves.I know the H-H boards are ok, from other threads people have posted.

Don't know except it seems to be a professionally printed backing of some sort. I have seen very similar boards before.

Here is an example of a legal board. It is a double Hilborn-Hamburger ribbon display board used in medal/ribbon shops and PXs. I believe it is dated 1967 but would have to look.

Boards like these have been sold on eBay and in auctions nationwide for many years without issue and with FBI knowledge. In fact one of these sold in public auction within the past 12 months.

I have seen very similar boards like the one you display.

post-4944-0-28098800-1413308399.jpg

Garth Thompson

The ribbon boards are very nice display pieces and legal.

Let's not start another yet another endless MoH rant. The forum has plenty already.

Garth

I wasn't starting anything.I was asking a simple question.I thought somewhere in the beginning of this thread it was a 'put together'.There are no markings on the board to show it was done by a uniform, badge or medal company.