USMS Chief Petty Officer hat badge

hink441

• 10 months later...

Catching up on my reading after being away for sometime.

That's a nice badge Chris, not often seen and certainly less often than the full size version manufactured by Coro. Here's a quickie of my three, one of which is the smaller version.

Tim

post-50776-0-01980900-1440036311.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got an earlier version, hallmarked American Emblem Co, and for the same price as what the later versions are selling for. Here's the set; hallmark shown in the forum section on hallmarks.

Now, if I can only find a US Shipping Board example! ;)

Tim

post-50776-0-81390200-1453931551.jpg

Oh wow!! That is really nice!! I have got to find one of those!!

Chris

Chris,

Take your time as they are out there and you don't have to spend exorbitant amounts of money either. If I come across another one that is reasonably priced, I will let you know.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Tim

• 5 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread back up to see if there are any new additions. I've seen many more examples of the 2nd version hitting the market these days and a few of the first editions for decent prices.

Here are two caps that sold within the last month and both only had one bidder! Nice caps, one with a bullion device and thought it would add some interest to the thread with these actually in place on a cap. Enjoy!

post-50776-0-15575400-1469905893.jpg

Hi Paul,

Long time, hope all is going well!

Yes, I was watching them but as I really don't collect hats, left them go. Both sold for $75. which is the price many are charging just for the pins. Always nice to see them in place as worn.

Tim

This hat band also recently sold and was listed as a USMS CPO bullion piece.

I am not 100% on this one, as the shield has those three little points on top but I can't figure out what else it may have been either? With the hat bands, I would date them circa 1947, if following the Navy's change to the way devices were mounted to the caps. If so, it was the only year for these as the USMS ended in 1947.

post-50776-0-69478900-1470011348_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I've been working on a history of the USMS training cadre and trainee cap badge - and have been endeavoring to place them in context and time. CPO cap badges are sort of fun because they were worn by both USMS training station staff who had CPO rank and the trainees themselves. And within those types are several varieties (as noted in this thread).

In September 1942, trainees at Government Island in Alameda, California were issued four different types of cap badges.

usms-1942-trainee-govtisland.jpg?fit=378

usms-1942-trainee-govtisland-03.jpg?fit=

usms-1942-trainee-govtisland-01.jpg?fit=

usms-1942-trainee-govtisland-02.jpg?fit=

One way we can determine who was a trainee was by virtue of the fact that they wore collar dogs - none of the station staff wore collar dogs. It does not appear that USMS CPOs wore garrison hats from 1938-42; as I have not noted any smaller-sized CPO badges; however, I have a badge in my collection that has the screw shank sheared-off and replaced by a straight pin - this may have been worn on a garrison hat.

In 1943 we start seeing the familiar red-ringed USMS CPO badge and embroidered CPO badges seems to disappear from the record - except from the caps of some instructors at the radio school on Gallups Island.

I have a write up of my findings here:
http://ianewatts.org/usms-cap-badges/

Catching up on my reading after being away for sometime.

That's a nice badge Chris, not often seen and certainly less often than the full size version manufactured by Coro. Here's a quickie of my three, one of which is the smaller version.

Tim

The smaller version was worn on garrison hats.

Here it is in context:

http://ianewatts.org/usms-garrison-caps/

I was unable to remove either CPO badge from their hats since they were corroded on.