ACE NOVELTY

Bearmon

Did ACE NOVELTY make patches as ordered or did the manufacture a bunch of patches and sell them through a catalog? I ask because this morning I was shown two great patches, one for the Thresher and the other for the Scorpion, both ACE NOVELTY patches and I a wondering if they were made for the boats crew as a Ships store order?

Thanks in advance

Bearmon

vintageproductions

ACE made things to order.

The only time they didn't was later in their career when the son would set up at airshows in Japan.

But remember they made patches for collectors just like they did for servicemen.

There was a great article in the ASMIC Trading Post about the history of ACE.

I just read the article again last night in the TP. ACE would make runs of 100 pieces and at times as small as 50. ACE was not the manufacturer but the retailer, the actual patch making was subcontracted out to others.

the TP issue was relatively new, last several years or so.

Patchcollector

There was an Ace Novelty Thresher patch on eBay a short while back.The seller stated that he thought that it was made after she went down.I felt that he was probably correct so I did'nt bid too hard on it.

I have an authentic period made Thresher piece and it is US made.

I posted it on the Forum along with a few other items here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/172230-my-small-uss-thresher-group/?hl=thresher

Here is another thread where I posted my authentic US made Thresher patch and another Japanese made piece from my collection.I believe the Japanese made one is probably post sinking made:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171855-uss-thresher-patch/?hl=thresher

I saw both of the posts with your Thresher patches, what makes you believe one was pre-sinking and one post-sinking? Direct vet acquisition?

Patchcollector

I saw both of the posts with your Thresher patches, what makes you believe one was pre-sinking and one post-sinking? Direct vet acquisition?

I sense that you are attempting to justify the Japanese made ones' as authentic.The few authentic ones' I have seen are all US made.The piece I have came from a small original grouping that is associated with the Thresher visiting the Portsmouth Naval shipyard in 1961.

BTW,I found your comment regarding "direct Vet acquisition" to be somewhat insulting to the memory of the crew of a ship in which all hands were lost.

I am not trying to justify anything, just asking a question. Ease up on the sanctimonious attitude about the vet acquisition comment, look in your own referenced threads at least one vet's grouping is posted who didn't die in the tragic event. The boat was around for a while, Precomm, shakedown cruises etc, before it sank, so probably more than a few sailors who were stationed on the boat at one time before the sinking probably weren't on the boat when it went down. The Navy if anything is always changing people coming and going.