Arizona

Big surplus store around 4th Ave and a large antique co-op off of Speedway, I think it's called Copper Country or something to that effect. Go to Mi Nidito and La Indita for great Sonoran Mexican food!

Steve

I second that about going to the Copper Country antique mall. It has been a few years since I was there, but there was at least one military dealer in the mall who had mostly WWI & WWII stuff.

For an oddity related to WWI, you can visit the statue of Pancho Villa presented to the people of Arizona by the president of Mexico, It is in Veinte de Agosto Park.

post-203-0-87730500-1413026542.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

if you are still in AZ and dont mind a few hours travel there is a great shop in historic Glendale it is tiny but stuffed with militaria from all eras... they have odd hours so make sure to look them up. they have complete uniforms to trench art and everything in between!

MilitaryItems.com 5623 W. Glendale Ave, Glendale, AZ 85301

As WW2Jake says above, small shop but packed floor to ceiling. Large variety of items spanning all eras.

History by George 129 W. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85201

Great shop, militaria, coins, stamps, misc. I've been going here since the late 1990's, George Notarpole (owner) is a great guy.

• 1 month later...

also if you're traveling to Arizona and come into sky harbor check out the terminal 3 museum particularly the Frank Luke Jr plane display, almost all original plane! frank was a ww1 Ace from AZ

post-125364-0-65845400-1419013797.jpgpost-125364-0-69578400-1419013799.jpgpost-125364-0-37951100-1419013801.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Copper Country (Speedway and Rosemount) at Christmas and met the man who runs the militaria booth there and bought a few items from him. His name is Jeff Albiniak and email is [email protected]. Email him ahead of your visit with you want list so he will have a chance to see if he has anything in storage he can pull put.

Casa Molina Midtown for Mexican food

• 1 month later...

As WW2Jake says above, small shop but packed floor to ceiling. Large variety of items spanning all eras.

heres some pictures

yes that mannequin does need some pants.

post-125364-0-75228100-1424996096.jpgpost-125364-0-56625200-1424996098.jpgpost-125364-0-23097700-1424996100.jpg

• 10 months later...

Based on the recommendation in this post I contacted Jeff Albiniak before I went to Tucson. The Copper Country location is closed and he now has a small space with some unbelievable militaria at the 22nd Street Antique Mall located at 5302 E 22nd Street, Tucson, Arizona 85711. The antique mall is close to Davis Monthan AFB and the Pima Air Museum. Jeff met me at the 22nd Street Antique Mall on Sunday morning and I bought a fantastic pair of SPH-4 flight helmets from him. If you plan to be in the Tucson area e-mail Jeff at [email protected]. The 22nd Street Antique Mall also has two other booths full of military stuff and there are smaller amounts of military stuff in many of the other booths. Definitely worth a visit!

• 1 year later...

Here’s a recent update for army surplus in Tucson, AZ. There are only two stores in town but both go by the same name of Miller’s surplus. One is near the downtown area and the other is more on the opposite side of town.

Miller’s Surplus #1 is co-located near the downtown area and is very big, spacious store. Though parking is a big problem where the store sits, so you may have to drive around the block to find a spot. Once inside it’s a cross between a clothing store and something that looks like a army surplus lot.

There are aisles and aisles of work clothing, work boots, clothing for bikers, pseudo military looking or cheap military looking items, etc. There is one whole section that is definitely army surplus though there is a lot of cheap military stuff in their too, If you look hard though you can find some great deals on military rucksacks and web gear. Next to that is a camping section where you can find lots of civilian gear mixed in with a half a wall full of freeze dried food and MRE’s. Lots of good deals I found there, sleeping bags, cots, some survival gear an such. Prices are very good if you need to pick up something last minute. The store does have a vintage look and military feel to it, the walls have vintage clothing from long ago, posters and newspaper articles also are grouped around some spots.

Only downside is that there is a good deal of odd or sketchy people aimlessly walking around and it was hard to find a salesperson for help. I did see a few sales people though but trying to get someone’s attention seemed like a problem. Not a bad place from first impressions. Millers’ store #2 was different.

Store #2 was located on the opposite side of town just off a major boulevard. It is smaller than store #1 but has the same amount of gear you would find in the first place. Lots of civilian work clothing, cheap military gear, and some good surplus mixed in at odd places. Lots of civilian produced rucksacks, day packs, gun accessories, parts for guns, camping gear, etc. Both stores have military clothing apparel but does not have a great selection of used clothing. Prices are pretty good for what you may be looking for (MRE’s, freeze dried food, individual medical stuff), higher for the hard to find stuff (web gear, rucksacks, tents, sleeping bags), and some things like used M-1 steel helmets were way overpriced, this to include a large selection of GWOT items that, those too, were way over inflated on prices.

Both locations are the only places in town to find some really good surplus or last minute camping-hiking gear. Both are fun to just look around and see what may be stashed in a corner or on display. Prices are good in some aspects and a total rip off on others. If you have a chance drive further up to Phoenix where there are more stores and a better selection.

• 10 months later...
milsurp_scout_14

I figured I ought to add to this list as several places I go often, aren't on here. All info current as of August 2018.

First is Allied Surplus (12450 N 35th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85029, in the shopping center, northwest corner of 35th Avenue/Cactus Rd). Only 40-50% is actual surplus; however if you visit often, you can find some higher-end newer gear, plus you can occasionally find the older stuff, which they're cheap on (pulled some WW2 and M56 pouches just yesterday). As a noteworthy aside, Moon Valley High school just to the south has a former ballistic missile warhead cone on display near the front fence (looks to be from a Titan). Allied also has a second location in Mesa (404 E Broadway Rd, Mesa, AZ 85210). I have had better luck on WW2-Vietnam era gear and uniforms there for some reason. Open 6 days a week, both locations closed on Sundays.

Nearby the Phoenix Allied is the Brass Armadillo Antique Mall (12419 N 28th Dr, Phoenix, AZ 85029, Open 9am-9pm, 7 days a week). I have 3 stuffed cases (405-407) where I sell gear, uniforms, and helmets from WW1-present day there. 100% US surplus, all the time. There are at least two other fine dealers in the glass showcases who are mostly dedicated to militaria (one has many bayonets), plus odds and ends turn up all around the mall frequently. Worth spending a few hours there.

US Surplus Corp (6736 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85035) has a wide array of gear. They seem to be about 70% actual surplus, and have pretty low prices. I have recently found both WW2 gear and Vietnam era uniforms there, although most everything else is 1980s-2010's vintage. Open 7 days a week, check hours on Google.

Further north in Flagstaff, there's Flag Military Surplus (North 7975, US-89, Flagstaff, AZ 86004). Smaller store, about 40-50% actual surplus. They had a large amount of older insignia when I was there last. Otherwise, lots of modern gear. Of note is the HEMTT cab converted into a truck driving simulator! Again, check hours before going, as they seem to be closed on most holidays.

On a yearly basis, the Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club (AMVCC) and Arizona Historical Military Transport Association (AHMTA), both have annual shows (January and March respectively) with bountiful swapmeets of mostly older gear.

And of course, all those listed above--I've visited both Miller's, The Glendale store, and History, by George! multiple times and can concur with the info everyone else has given.

• 10 months later...
milsurp_scout_14

I am updating this to let everyone know that US Surplus Corp is going out of business and closing its doors in a few days (June 24th, 2019). Was an excellent place to shop, and will be missed.

• 1 year later...
Trapper1873
On 11/2/2014 at 8:16 AM, rd12 said:

History by George 129 W. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85201

Great shop, militaria, coins, stamps, misc. I've been going here since the late 1990's, George Notarpole (owner) is a great guy.

I wonder if that place is still in Glendale. I’ll have to look and update. 

Yes MilitaryItems.com is still operating in Glendale. I checked their website when I was there two weeks ago. Open 12:00-4:00 Tuesday through Saturday if I remember correctly. They also list much of their inventory on their site.