Art Deco pattern Prewar wing - Orber First pattern?

mghcal

Traced

I think the shadow of the epaulet is giving you the optical illusion that they are not circular.

I can see the details of the TC DI on them. Also Patrick has the original photo.. I'm sure he can see them.

-Brian

501stGeronimo

I think the shadow of the epaulet is giving you the optical illusion that they are not circular.

I can see the details of the TC DI on them. Also Patrick has the original photo.. I'm sure he can see them.

-Brian

Before I will be convinced otherwise, I would need a better scan. That isn't the shadow of the epaulette.

John, on your clutchbacks when do you think those would've been issued? I always was under the impression the clutches were late war? Yours in post 22 looks like long posts what was the time period for those?

Clutch type fasteners first came into use in 1923 (pull back). I have one with a 1923 date on it.

The clutch fasteners that everyone thinks of came into use in 1943 (squeeze type).

The reason that dating a wing by the length of the posts does not work, is that some

officers had padded uniforms in the 1930's and those wings had long posts, most likely either

ordered special from the company or modified by a jeweler.

The trick is distinguishing a post war wing with long posts from an earlier one, and that just takes

time and experience.

This might be of help-

http://hglanham.tripod.com/metalinsignia2/datingclutches.html

John

You 'al are posting some very nice Pilot badges and solid information. Here's a 1940 image of Major Arthur Blum from the West Coast Training Command wearing the same style wing...

IMG_5909.JPG

Very similar to Mike's Command Pilot wing posted above, here's a Senior Pilot variation using the same style star.

IMG_5903.JPG

Mike, I think the eBay wing is good as I've had several people with a lot more knowledge than me say that the one I just bought in my first post is good and it's the same as the eBay wing. The pattern is different than all those posted so far in this thread and if you compare you'll see the shield is narrower and taller you'll especially notice the area with the horizontals being taller, the top feather on both the outer and mid wings is longer than the second feather, the shield is flat on the bottom, and there are no snowflakes. These differences are the original reason I started the thread since I was a bit concerned with my new wing.

It's been great to see everything from original dies, uniforms, and all the different fastenings and versions that John contributed, dated photos of the airmen wearing these wings that Patrick and Russ contributed, and the senior pilot Russ posted. Russ can i ask what is engraved on the back of the senior pilot do you know which airman owned it? Thanks everyone else for your comments as well this has been a great thread!

Thanks to Patrick for resizing my horrible photo I can now post a comparison. See the pretty significant differences between the two patterns?

post-25673-0-21403800-1413263050.jpeg

Mike, I think the eBay wing is good as I've had several people with a lot more knowledge than me say that the one I just bought in my first post is good and it's the same as the eBay wing. The pattern is different than all those posted so far in this thread and if you compare you'll see the shield is narrower and taller you'll especially notice the area with the horizontals being taller, the top feather on both the outer and mid wings is longer than the second feather, the shield is flat on the bottom, and there are no snowflakes. These differences are the original reason I started the thread since I was a bit concerned with my new wing.

It's been great to see everything from original dies, uniforms, and all the different fastenings and versions that John contributed, dated photos of the airmen wearing these wings that Patrick and Russ contributed, and the senior pilot Russ posted. Russ can i ask what is engraved on the back of the senior pilot do you know which airman owned it? Thanks everyone else for your comments as well this has been a great thread!

Mike, even with a loop I'm having trouble making out the name with certainty inscribed on the back. I believe it says "KOCH-" or "KOEH-"... This was an auction purchase with no information about the Pilot provided.