7th ID Ike Jacket-What Era?

Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

I am curious as to the era for this jacket? I received it from a vet that served from 1937 through 1962. However, he never served in the 7th. He has since passed and I have no clue to its origin.

Thanks for looking.

post-147204-0-78679900-1412782448.jpg

post-147204-0-74800700-1412782449.jpg

post-147204-0-70220000-1412782450.jpg

post-147204-0-21068900-1412782483.jpg

Hookemhorns88

That is a strong possibility as the person that I received this from served there in the early 50's at Sasebo. He could have picked it up somehow.

Tan Ikes were authorized in the late '40's, but not issued. Strictly private purchase. Much more commonly seen for officers than EM's..

G

Indeed, it's very unique to see a Khaki EM IKE, agree with other members, a privatly tailored number, done by virtue of the 7th Div patch, in Japan, something not worn in formations, not sure if this would of been worn on duty, say in an HQ office setting, most likly worn off duty. As Gil stated that it's more seen being for officers, it could of been originally made for an officer and this NCO just aquired it some how, that he's a senior NCO, a Master Sergeant makes it all the more plausible.

As to the actual unit within the 7th Inf Div this M/Sgt was in? The two awards of the Meritorious Unit Commandation gives us a clue, provided these MUCs are from the unit this M/Sgt was serving in while in the 7th Inf Div, and are not a carry over from his previous or former wartime unit, though we're not seeing a combat patch, he just might of not worn one for whatever reason. So there are a few possibile candidates, could be the 7th Medical Battalion, the 7th Ordnance Company, 7th Signal Company, all of which received two awards of the MUC for the period of the Second World War. Haven't checked the other units yet, like the Artillery Battalions, though from what I seen so far no elements of the 7th Inf Div's Infantry Regiments were awarded MUCs.

Hookemhorns88

Indeed, it's very unique to see a Khaki EM IKE, agree with other members, a privatly tailored number, done by virtue of the 7th Div patch, in Japan, something not worn in formations, not sure if this would of been worn on duty, say in an HQ office setting, most likly worn off duty. As Gil stated that it's more seen being for officers, it could of been originally made for an officer and this NCO just aquired it some how, that he's a senior NCO, a Master Sergeant makes it all the more plausible.

As to the actual unit within the 7th Inf Div this M/Sgt was in? The two awards of the Meritorious Unit Commandation gives us a clue, provided these MUCs are from the unit this M/Sgt was serving in while in the 7th Inf Div, and are not a carry over from his previous or former wartime unit, though we're not seeing a combat patch, he just might of not worn one for whatever reason. So there are a few possibile candidates, could be the 7th Medical Battalion, the 7th Ordnance Company, 7th Signal Company, all of which received two awards of the MUC for the period of the Second World War. Haven't checked the other units yet, like the Artillery Battalions, though from what I seen so far no elements of the 7th Inf Div's Infantry Regiments were awarded MUCs.

Your posting has me intrigued. I received this jacket from my great-uncle who served in medical detachments his entire career (pre-WWII thru 1962). I have all of his records and other military items (see previous postings) but I do not recall seeing anything about the 7th. He was in Japan in the early 50's at Sasebo. I will look at his service history during his time in Japan and post it here to see if anyone can connect the dots to the 7th if possible.

Thanks for the info so far.

Yeah check it out where he was, because the 7th Div, after returning from occupation duty in Korea (1945-48) moved to Japan, where it was stationed in the north of Japan, Northern Honshū and all of Hokkaido it was in this northern region when the war broke out in June 1950, Saesbo is way way south of these areas.

TrenchfootJoe66

While those uniforms were primarily worn by officers, it wasn't that unusual for senior NCO types to wear them as well. Usually 1st Sgts and the like, MSG is senior enough. They're were no "super grades" yet. Ive had complete officer quality TW uniforms for 1st Sgts.