IDENTIFIED: circular SHAEF colored AE with 2x chain links and star

BarryJay

• 1 year later...

Well, I was contacted today by someone that has a positive ID on this patch. More to follow, if they are willing to share. I know it will be in their book.

I had emailed him a while ago about the patch, but Walter Elkins from https://usarmygermany.com/ just stumbled upon this patch while working on a future book. He has given me authority to publish this information on the USMF. A positive ID on a rare patch that has eluded the collecting community for decades.

It is the insignia for the EUCOM Communications Zone in France. Page 19 of the Stars and Stripes April 13, 1952 (European Edition) has a drawing of the patch with this ID. I tried purchasing a one day subscription to post a screen shot but the system is down. If anyone has a subscription to newspaperarchive.com please post the section.

post-122868-0-08277500-1578955701_thumb.jpg

For whatever reason, it was never really used and the below patch was what was authorized in on April 28, 1953 (one year later) for the Communications Zone (per Barry Stein).

ComZEur_patch.jpg

Case closed. Thanks Walter from https://usarmygermany.com/

Steve

If it wasn't for you dogged determination we would never have the patch Identified and I still would have patch without a name in my collection.

Thanks again

Mason

BILL THE PATCH

So now that we have an id, does value go up or down?, I say up. I could have bought one up in Syracuse NY I think it was 500.00 would that be a fair price?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Bill, it is a rare patch. Some people do not sell patches until there is an ID. Others do not buy patches until there is an ID so I am not sure what will happen to demand in terms of that. Now that it has an ID, I am sure some books may pick it up, but it may be 2-4 years down the road. I am not sure where Barry Stein's new book is in with production. When I first started collecting...I was given the Washington book and had to have every patch in it. Now that it has an ID, if it makes it into a book...I am sure other new and experienced collectors will try to add it to their collection.

Some may have been hoping that this was a super secret squirrel communications patch directly post war. It is now tied to early 1952. Short lived at that. How big is that collectors market? I do not know.

Possibly with the ID, we may be able to find the video that tredhed2 spoke about. It would be great to find a photo showing that this patch was actually worn.

If it won the design contest, maybe an initial order was purchased? Maybe 100, 200, 1,000? Whatever it is...I am sure that the production was low and from the small number of the ones that we have seen...they all are made the same way....so just one production?

This could also be a patch where we may think that we have seen 20-50 of them throughout the years at gun and patch shows....but without the positive ID...was the number more like 15-20 but they just changed hands pretty frequently when we could not find an ID? I held on the one pictured in this thread for a while, could not ID it, and passed it on to another collector so I could focus on home front patches.

Value going up or down now that it has been IDd? What would a price be for it?

No one else really chimed in so I took a stab at it.

BILL THE PATCH

All good points Steve, well if I come across the one I saw. Maybe I'll take a stab at it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

First thanks Mason for the ID of the decade. I have one on a uniform and one loose. My estimate is in the 250-350 for fair retail value.

Mort

All the credit goes to Steve for the detective work. I helped by buying the patch three years ago with a cyber handshake that Steve would keep pounding the pavement for an ID. So, we all benefit in end.

• 4 weeks later...
WorldWarPatches

Bill, it is a rare patch. Some people do not sell patches until there is an ID. Others do not buy patches until there is an ID so I am not sure what will happen to demand in terms of that. Now that it has an ID, I am sure some books may pick it up, but it may be 2-4 years down the road. I am not sure where Barry Stein's new book is in with production. When I first started collecting...I was given the Washington book and had to have every patch in it. Now that it has an ID, if it makes it into a book...I am sure other new and experienced collectors will try to add it to their collection.

Some may have been hoping that this was a super secret squirrel communications patch directly post war. It is now tied to early 1952. Short lived at that. How big is that collectors market? I do not know.

Possibly with the ID, we may be able to find the video that tredhed2 spoke about. It would be great to find a photo showing that this patch was actually worn.

If it won the design contest, maybe an initial order was purchased? Maybe 100, 200, 1,000? Whatever it is...I am sure that the production was low and from the small number of the ones that we have seen...they all are made the same way....so just one production?

This could also be a patch where we may think that we have seen 20-50 of them throughout the years at gun and patch shows....but without the positive ID...was the number more like 15-20 but they just changed hands pretty frequently when we could not find an ID? I held on the one pictured in this thread for a while, could not ID it, and passed it on to another collector so I could focus on home front patches.

Value going up or down now that it has been IDd? What would a price be for it?

No one else really chimed in so I took a stab at it.

I have one and I'm still calling it the "Super Secret Squirrel Communications" Patch

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

GOOD MORNING BARRYJAY

I JUST FOUND THIS DISCUSSION ABOUT THE RARE USAREUR PATCH

I HAVE THIS PATCH IN MY COLLECTION FOR YEARS AND CAN'T REMEMBER WHO ON A.S.M.I.C.

I.D. THE PATCH AS   EUROPEAN  COMMUNICATIONS  ZONE  

E U C O M  IN  1952   A.S.M.I.C.  LISTED AS  VERY  RARE

ALSO ARE TWO  PIC'S I SHOT OF E-BAY LISTINGS USING THE SAME NAME.

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE .

AHR 

IMG_1517D.jpeg

ADDS ON E-BAY.jpeg