IDENTIFIED: circular SHAEF colored AE with 2x chain links and star

BarryJay

I forgot all about this ID request. Good luck. The fella in Germany who sent this to me is still looking for an answer. I went through many back issues of the TP but got tired looking after a couple of hours.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new member and find this conversation very interesting. I have this patch in my collection and have not found anyone with knowledge of it, have not seen it anywhere else except here. Like all of you, there seems to be no or little information on it. I received my SSI collection in about 1961 from my uncle who was career US Army during WWII and Korea. He retired about the time he gave me this collection. I know this collection was gathered only during his career and all items are authentic, originals from his service period. Since receiving this collection from him, there have been no additions to it. It is too bad that my uncle passed away before I took an interest in identifying the items in the collection and getting his story behind the patches. My patch is new, unused. That being said, this particular patch, I suspect, must be from shortly after WWII during the US occupation and rebuilding of Europe. It can not be any later than the 1950's. That is the only way I can date it. It will be interesting to a final determination of the unit and history.

I am a new member and find this conversation very interesting. I have this patch in my collection and have not found anyone with knowledge of it, have not seen it anywhere else except here. Like all of you, there seems to be no or little information on it. I received my SSI collection in about 1961 from my uncle who was career US Army during WWII and Korea. He retired about the time he gave me this collection. I know this collection was gathered only during his career and all items are authentic, originals from his service period. Since receiving this collection from him, there have been no additions to it. It is too bad that my uncle passed away before I took an interest in identifying the items in the collection and getting his story behind the patches. My patch is new, unused. That being said, this particular patch, I suspect, must be from shortly after WWII during the US occupation and rebuilding of Europe. It can not be any later than the 1950's. That is the only way I can date it. It will be interesting to a final determination of the unit and history.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, the great this about this community is that we strive to learn about militaria and share what we learn. Yes, this patch is most likely 1945-1955 at the latest. One day we will find out what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted the Signal Corps Museum and received this response today:

After researching our books on Signal Patches and Crests, I have not been

able to identify this patch. It is possible that it was an "unofficial"

patch for some unit, but I cannot be sure.

I would suggest getting in touch with the Center of Military History or the

Department of Heraldry and see if it shows up on their books. It may not be

a Signal patch so that could be why it is not in our records.

Sorry that I could not be of more help in this matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the Signal Corps Museum and received this response today:

After researching our books on Signal Patches and Crests, I have not been

able to identify this patch. It is possible that it was an "unofficial"

patch for some unit, but I cannot be sure.

I would suggest getting in touch with the Center of Military History or the

Department of Heraldry and see if it shows up on their books. It may not be

a Signal patch so that could be why it is not in our records.

Sorry that I could not be of more help in this matter.

Nice try. I am beginning to wonder if it was made as a jacket patch and not an official unit insignia. How does that affect its value? Still seems to be rare.

firefighter

Not sure if this was already mentioned, i didn't see it. Anyway this could be a "fashion' patch, maybe American Eagle? just a thought.

Not sure if this was already mentioned, i didn't see it. Anyway this could be a "fashion' patch, maybe American Eagle? just a thought.

Do you recall reading the post with this on an Ike? Or the post about the History Channel program? This is NOT a fashion patch.

firefighter

Do you recall reading the post with this on an Ike? Or the post about the History Channel program? This is NOT a fashion patch.

Ok, no need to be rude. I started out thinking it was original. I, and I'm sure others, have seen other things on jackets that didn't belong on it. So please step back and tone it down.

ocsfollowme

Received this from the QM Museum today

Dear Steve , I have seen this patch maybe 4 times in 32 years. I have
never seen any authorization paperwork on it but think it was locally made
and authorized to wear in post war Germany as the Allied Europe A & E patch.
Some might say it could be another version of the Allied Forces patch A & F
with a tail. Not totally sure but it was for Allied Forces Europe 1946-1952.
And you are right it is rare. We don't have one in our collections. With the
rainbow colors and the two chain links it has attributes of the ETO patch
and SHAPE patch with sword. Will
keep looking. Have been through all Littlejohn papers and other QM archives
of the time. Just trying to find an image of the patch on someone. Going
through post war QM picture books and pubs that might have it printed or
drawn. I doubt heraldry would have anything. Sorry I don't have more.

BILL THE PATCH

Man this is like a great movie, what's the ending going to be like? Great detective work by all forum members.

firefighter

Has anyone tried putting a picture of it in the TRADING POST for identification? Maybe someone with out a computer may know?

ocsfollowme

It has been in the TP twice as the earlier threads state. However, I do not think that it has been in there in color. I guess it would be a good idea to do!

• 2 years later...

I picked this one up today at a gun show, the seller told me he received two directly from the vet.

The vet said these were local made post war pocket patches, unauthorized, the design was supposed to signify America holding Europe together with the chains.

The colors were taken from the US forces Europe patch.

I bought the patch because the price was right, i figured I would pass along the story.

post-582-0-84152700-1543708963_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

That's the best explanation I've heard so far. Can the seller provide more info on the vets service?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk