IDENTIFIED: circular SHAEF colored AE with 2x chain links and star

BarryJay

I believe this was listed and ID'ed years ago in an ASMIC Trading Post, but I can not remember for sure what it was.

Thanks, I have most of ASMIC's Trading Posts but the thought of going through them all, ugh! But it's early; maybe I'll get lucky with another member. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond

Thanks all. Since I got this request for an ID from a fellow at USAREUR Military History Office it was definitely a unit in Germany. Note the rainbow colors, similar to US Army Europe. Anybody else out there?

Thanks, I have most of ASMIC's Trading Posts but the thought of going through them all, ugh! But it's early; maybe I'll get lucky with another member. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond

I am pretty sure it was an OLD issue as well. Like maybe from the 80's! :lol:

Maybe another ASMIC member will remember.

vintageproductions

it was in the mid 90's and the ID was made by Larry Stone, who turned up a photo group that showed the unit sign.

I saw one of these sell on E bay last year. It was ID'ed as Allied Engineers. I have my doubts about the ID. I though it could be a Labor Service unit? I do not have the seller info.

The design in the center reminds me of the style of the old logistical commands from the 50's and 60's. Which ones of those were located in Europe?

I saw one of these sell on E bay last year. It was ID'ed as Allied Engineers. I have my doubts about the ID. I though it could be a Labor Service unit? I do not have the seller info.

Labor service would make sense with the two chain links in the middle.

it was in the mid 90's and the ID was made by Larry Stone, who turned up a photo group that showed the unit sign.

I'm afraid someone is going to have to dig through the newsletters to be sure...

My speculation:

"A" leaning to the West = America

"E" leaning to the East = Europe

Chain links between show the bond

USAREUR colors show the unit

Is this an early NATO patch, either before the 4-point star, or just for the American HQs unit at NATO?

My wild guess.

I hope that Bob is right that Larry Stone had the ID. Many people lean toward engineers and definitely WW2. Regardless it is a rare patch and when available sells for good money. Mort

PS. Eventhough ID is unsure most longtime collecters seem to want this patch when it shows up!

Thanks for the help, all. BTW, Larry Stone did know the patch; he has one but wasn't able to attach a name to it. Thus, as MAA10mm suggested; it's down to the basement to go through the Trading Posts.

vintageproductions

I am going by pure memory, but I thought Larry had it as some type of signal or deceptive signal unit. Don't hold me to it, but that is what I am vaguely remembering.

• 1 year later...

Someone brought this to ASMIC SD, which made me want one so I picked one up on eBay for $45 yesterday. Taking a gamble that it may actually be something cool. I very well may have paid too much for it.

post-122868-0-37787100-1412778723.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/208726-an-interesting-german-made-patch-for-id/?hl=%2Ballied+%2Beurope&do=findComment&comment=1638430

I want to say that I remember another thread on this SSI from the past year.

I am not sure if anyone has had any more luck trying to track down the ID on this. Or if it will continue to elude us all.

I would begin research by assuming it is not SHAEF-related, but USAREUR (US Army Europe) because of the blue background. (Maybe AE is for Army Europe??). The design is clearly extracted from the USAREUR/SHAEF model.

Regarding the back of the patch in the old thread I would say this one was made in Germany. First thought was some kind of sports/athletics patch.... Okay, one more try: could it be some kind of partnership patch with "A" (for America) on the left and "E" (Europe) on the right linked by a chain? Maybe issued for a partnership event or exercise????

I was thinking none military at first but the colors match up perfect to the US Army Europe patch.I think the 'AE' is Army Europe.The two links could have something to do with a prison?

31L5vPM0EeL.jpg

Hi Steve,

You got it very cheap;have seen the asking price atleast 200 over what you paid. It has been an unknown forever but has been seen on uniform. Conjecture is that it is an engineer unit associated with US Army Europe. Mort

Isn't it "A-V-E" or is it just me , possibly aviation related unit with SHEAF...............

Could be.But I think an aviation unit would be 'avn' and have wings or something of that sort.

I was thinking none military at first but the colors match up perfect to the US Army Europe patch.I think the 'AE' is Army Europe.The two links could have something to do with a prison?

31L5vPM0EeL.jpg

Spandau?