Dirt Detective finds

Dirt Detective

Bob Hudson
Here is the 4th locker, it looks to be a mix of stuff. The cap looks to have a boy scout emblem ( sea scout ?)

Hey Mike - nice chatting with you yesterday. That "sea scout" cap looks to be Revenue Cutter Service or early Coast Guard.

KASTAUFFER

The emblem on the Navy Hat does look like a " Sea Scouts" badge ( a branch of the Boys Scouts ) to me . A closer up shot would tell.

If it is , it is a nice early example collectible in its own right.

Kurt

Bob Hudson
The emblem on the Navy Hat does look like a " Sea Scouts" badge ( a branch of the Boys Scouts ) to me . A closer up shot would tell.

Kurt

Good call - I had never seen one of those Sea Scout officer's caps before. An online merchant has one from the 40's or 50's listed for $150, so there must be some collector demand.

seascouts.jpg

seascouts2.jpg

Here's one being worn in 1926:

1926-Keane.jpg

Dirt Detective

Kurt

Hey Guys, Yes its the same emblem as on the white cap shown..I found a sea scout book yesterday. My main PC went down today..Im on my wifes lap top now..Ill see if I can post more pics later. I plan on doing a grouping thread on the MG trunk...that will be fun.

Another cool thing in the trunk, I dont know if it was trench art or bought in town but it is some bullet casings and it looks to have a list of battles on each case..almost looks like a pointer or something.

Camp_Kearny

My Dad always talks about finding the "box of Confederate Belt Buckles". Is this a hoax? I don't think so, I hope not because it gives me hope that there is another trunk like that out there for me. I know we often debate whether or not to tell friends, coworkers, or family that we collect military. There are arguments to go either way. I personally don't like telling too many people because of the threat of theft, but if people know you collect good things can happen. Almost 15 years ago, my Grandparents sent me two USNR suitcases full of WWII Navy uniforms from the same pilot. Two of every type of uniform minus his flying gear. He was not a hotshot ace, according to his log books (in the collection of stuff), he flew transport planes in the Aleutians and on Guam, Tinian, and Saipan. A good solid collection of a WWII USNR aviator. They belonged to a fiance of a Great Aunt who just packed up and left one day. Everyone forgot about the suitcases until my Aunt died. While cleaning the house out, my Grandparents found the suitcases and knowing that I collected WWII stuff sent me the suitcases. The moral of the story is to tell trusted people you collect and maybe you will be lucky. Good luck to all of you out there finding their "box of Confederate Belt Buckles".

Dirt Detective

Kurt

Hi Kurt, Hope this works,,im on a new PC....

004am1.jpg

005ek6.jpg

Dirt Detective

Okay...Im way in over my head on this post...In one of the bags,there were some belts. One looks to be a USN civil war belt, it matches the one in my book, its named, and has US? Boston 1863 stenceled on it and a pouch..the pouch has seen better days but it still looks nice. Anyone have any info in this area?

009nr5.jpg

027js2.jpg

014ct4.jpg

028fb2.jpg

Okay...Im way in over my head on this post...In one of the bags,there were some belts. One looks to be a USN civil war belt, it matches the one in my book, its named, and has US? Boston 1863 stenceled on it and a pouch..the pouch has seen better days but it still looks nice. Anyone have any info in this area?

Hey Mike,

PM Ray G about the Civil War stuff.........

Dirt Detective
Hey Mike,

PM Ray G about the Civil War stuff.........

Okay Johnny..will do thanks, here is another belt dated 1912

016sk0.jpg

024hg5.jpg

Okay Johnny..will do thanks, here is another belt dated 1912

016sk0.jpg

024hg5.jpg

THis belt could beBritish,Royal Navy??.I seem to remember the Brits having a snake buckle.

RON

Bob Hudson
THis belt could beBritish,Royal Navy??.I seem to remember the Brits having a snake buckle.

RON

Mike: you and I discussed that the gentleman named in connection with the trunks had uncles who fought and/or died for the British in WWI. This buckle and the British caps may have been part of what you said was his goal to re-create a uniform they would have worn. The Brits used these at least as far back as the Napoleonic Wars and I think they may still use them.

Camp_Kearny

I believe that the snake buckle is part of one of the Canadian LBE that was issued just prior and during WWI when Pattern 1908 LBE was in short supply. Is there any maker marks or the marking of a C surrounding a Broad Arrow? It could also be part of the British Pattern 1914 LBE with two of the straps for the E-tool cut off.

Ian

What an amazing haul of treasure! Sure wish I could be that fortunate! At least it has a good home now! ~ Tim

Dirt Detective

Thanks for all the nice PM's and messages guys. I think I will do a couple posts on the grouping thread page. One on the WW I trunk and the other on the 202 coastel battery trunk. A couple of the pics may be repeats from this thread so sorry in advance.

market garden

Guys this stuff is out there. Im working on a trunk grouping also. I have to change my pants after seeing this stuff. It is so great.

The Holy Grail. I am mistifide. JOB WELL DONE. Market garden.