Flash and Ovals ID's

36-tex

Interesting flash/SSI combination.

This JFKSWCS COL wears the USARAK SSI.

Does anyone have info on this - would it be TDY or Command level SOF element or something?

attachicon.gifUSARAK_ABN_2010_2.jpg

Now that is different. Will be very interested to follow this and see what we learn.

Thanks for posting.

My first guess would be that he is TDY to the Center, but who knows

flashesandovals

Latest additions.

AIRBORNE PLATOON, 59TH ENGINEER COMPANY, 193RD INFANTRY BRIGADE, early 1990's

Info obtained from a fellow forum member who served in Panama at the time.

post-9154-0-16139700-1431786594.jpg

1ST BATTALION, 7TH AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY, 108TH ADA BDE

attachicon.gif0007ADA_1_FODM&SSICM.jpg

As best as I can find no Airborne elements existed within the 108th ADA Bde. It is said Airborne Tab authorized simply because unit was assigned to the XVIII Airborne Corps (not sure about that, but who knows). Don't think any AA elements either.

flashesandovals

As best as I can find no Airborne elements existed within the 108th ADA Bde. It is said Airborne Tab authorized simply because unit was assigned to the XVIII Airborne Corps (not sure about that, but who knows). Don't think any AA elements either.

Agree...but the maroon beret was worn with this flash.

Here's a few pictures I - 108TH ADA BDE

post-9154-0-42425900-1431892494.jpg

flashesandovals

Bad picture taken in Bastogne, December 2004 - 2/44TH ADA wearing maroon berets, 101ST SSI, XVIII ABN CORPS flash.

Although I remember seeing some guys with the 2/44 ADA ovals, they are not on this particular picture.

post-9154-0-36403200-1431893666.jpg

Here are a couple of other "lesser known" separate Airborne units.

As with all Separate Airborne units the Tab is not authorized but is more often seen than not, especially on the duty uniforms.

post-28488-0-53545700-1431895131.jpg

Another "forgotten one" the short lived 167TH SPT BN (ABN) (2005-2006)

attachicon.gif0167SPT_FODM&SSICM_2005.jpg

Ah yes, a blast from the past. Here is my beret from my time with that Battalion. I remember being asked by friends in other battalions why my flash was "pink" (the "crimson" border is supposed to represent Ordnance, by the way).

It was reflagged as the 725th Brigade Support Battalion (ABN) in about late summer 2006, shortly before the unit deployed to Iraq.

I could never figure out why the Army decided to bring back the 67th Ordnance Bn (always a non-divisional unit), rename it the 167th Support Bn, and assign it to an airborne brigade in Alaska.

As for the name, the full title should have been "Brigade Support Battalion" or "BSB" based on the modular unit structure and doctrine being instituted at that time, but IIRC that was a big pet-peeve of the Battalion Commander and we always dropped the "Brigade" part, until the next guy came in and we had to update everything to include "Brigade".

post-781-0-04962100-1431895928.jpg

flashesandovals

Ah yes, a blast from the past. Here is my beret from my time with that Battalion. I remember being asked by friends in other battalions why my flash was "pink" (the "crimson" border is supposed to represent Ordnance, by the way).

It was reflagged as the 725th Brigade Support Battalion (ABN) in about late summer 2006, shortly before the unit deployed to Iraq.

I could never figure out why the Army decided to bring back the 67th Ordnance Bn (always a non-divisional unit), rename it the 167th Support Bn, and assign it to an airborne brigade in Alaska.

As for the name, the full title should have been "Brigade Support Battalion" or "BSB" based on the modular unit structure and doctrine being instituted at that time, but IIRC that was a big pet-peeve of the Battalion Commander and we always dropped the "Brigade" part, until the next guy came in and we had to update everything to include "Brigade".

Very nice!

I used the designation found on TIOH - http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=5004&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

They seen to have forgotten the Brigade term as well I guess. :)

flashesandovals

Here are a couple of other "lesser known" separate Airborne units.

As with all Separate Airborne units the Tab is not authorized but is more often seen than not, especially on the duty uniforms.

>Thank you! I was not aware that the Depot guys wore the regular QM school F&O before that new one.

One learns something new every day indeed.

Very nice!

I used the designation found on TIOH - http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=5004&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

They seen to have forgotten the Brigade term as well I guess. :)

That's standard. It's very common these days for units to have a title on authorization documents that is not completely lined up with the terms used in current published doctrine.

Many authorization documents still simply say "Support Battalion", but all the doctrine (and 99% of the operating force) use the phrase "Brigade Support Battalion". Similar issues exist with many of the other alphabete soup unit titles created under modularity.

• 2 weeks later...

sigma9r,

here is a scan of a think sheet for the 6th SOSC. hope it helps

This is great! Is it from a book or did you create this?

This is great! Is it from a book or did you create this?

I made the "drawing" using art programs and clip art

I made the "drawing" using art programs and clip art

Thanks.

The two pages you posted helped me a bunch!

• 1 month later...

New F & O posted at IOH today - 527th QM DET Ft Hood Texas. Immediate parent unit unverified at this time but may be 504th BfSB

post-28488-0-08027000-1435716431.jpg

New F & O posted at IOH today - 527th QM DET Ft Hood Texas. Immediate parent unit unverified at this time but may be 504th BfSB

Riggers???

Riggers???

Yes.

They were attached to Co C 2 / 38 Cav, 504th BfSB.

However 2 / 38 cased it's colors on 4 June of this year so it is "assumed" that they went to HHC of 504th BfSB but not conformation on it yet.