Flash and Ovals ID's

36-tex

Is it me or is MG Reeder wearing a WWII Victory Medal on his ribbon rack? Top left position.

Three below that ribbon appears to be a Civil War ribbon. Maybe the DC Def Force is like some ROTC ribbons, active duty ribbon means one thing and another for ROTC (JR)???

Also appears to be a couple of USAF ones.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been through the thread with no luck. Can someone help me ID this one. It has a nice shadow where the di was. thanks, Matt

attachicon.gifunknown flash.jpg

Company H 121st Infantry (ABN)(LRS), they returned from Iraq 2003, odd this beret has a shadow for the GA Army National Guard crest, rather than the 121st inf crest.

post-3202-0-53684000-1507249831.jpg GA Natl Guard

post-3202-0-77789000-1507249985.jpg GA 121 Inf

• 2 weeks later...
greendevilsix

New Flash and Oval approved by TIOH. The 57th Sapper CO is part of the 27th Engineer BN which is part of the 20th Engineer BDE here on Fort Bragg.

post-1971-0-55375900-1508431423_thumb.png

New Flash for the 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade. This is a non-Airborne unit and there is no matching Oval.

The Flash is reportedly going to be worn on a Olive Green beret and as one can imagine the Special Forces community is not happy.

post-28488-0-29647000-1509163260.jpg

New Flash for the 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade. This is a non-Airborne unit and there is no matching Oval.

The Flash is reportedly going to be worn on a Olive Green beret and as one can imagine the Special Forces community is not happy.

Follow up to the above post. The Army CoS says the Beret is not Olive Green but rather a Olive Brown, based on the British Infantry Beret. He also says the Beret color is still under consideration and no color has been given a final approval.

Although there is some grumbling about the SSI it is probably a done deal.

• 1 month later...
VolunteerArmoury

Company H 121st Infantry (ABN)(LRS), they returned from Iraq 2003, odd this beret has a shadow for the GA Army National Guard crest, rather than the 121st inf crest.

attachicon.gif ganatlgd.jpg GA Natl Guard

attachicon.gif GA121inf.jpg GA 121 Inf

The LRS wore the GA STARC at one point for some reason. A buddy of mine & his crew had them on but he told me that thats what they were given.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

I didn't see this anywhere in the thread, but here's Brigadier General Frederick M. Warren, CG of the 100th Airborne Division, wearing some sort of oval. He was an armored officer in WWII, and later photos show him wearing his glider wings without oval. He was a 1947 Advanced Airborne Course grad. Maybe someone here has seen this one before? My apologies but this blurry photo is the best I can do.

i4lweDu.jpg?1

I didn't see this anywhere in the thread, but here's Brigadier General Frederick M. Warren, CG of the 100th Airborne Division, wearing some sort of oval. He was an armored officer in WWII, and later photos show him wearing his glider wings without oval. He was a 1947 Advanced Airborne Course grad. Maybe someone here has seen this one before? My apologies but this blurry photo is the best I can do.

i4lweDu.jpg?1

Closed match I could find so far is this one, for C Company 12th Engineer Battalion (Airborne), this unit was a part of the old Airborne Brigade 8th Infantry Division (Mech) late 50s early 70s, so unlikely this is that. It's very possible he's wearing a undocumented oval for the Headquarters of the 100th Airborne Division, and while looking like the one I posted, may be a Blue base color with alternating White and Yellow ticks around it's edge, these being the colors of the 100th Division shoulder patch.

s-l225.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

Closed match I could find so far is this one, for C Company 12th Engineer Battalion (Airborne), this unit was a part of the old Airborne Brigade 8th Infantry Division (Mech) late 50s early 70s, so unlikely this is that. It's very possible he's wearing a undocumented oval for the Headquarters of the 100th Airborne Division, and while looking like the one I posted, may be a Blue base color with alternating White and Yellow ticks around it's edge, these being the colors of the 100th Division shoulder patch.

s-l225.jpg

That was my exact thought, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to just be throwing my theories about, especially if someone had seen or documented a 100th AB Div oval. So I'll chime in with an agreement! It looks like a twist of colors around the outside, which lead me to think yellow/white with a dark blue base.

That was my exact thought, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to just be throwing my theories about, especially if someone had seen or documented a 100th AB Div oval. So I'll chime in with an agreement! It looks like a twist of colors around the outside, which lead me to think yellow/white with a dark blue base.

Never be hesitant to throw a theory out there, that's we do with stuff like this to get to the bottom of it all, and many times, theories, guesses, and speculations lead to more of the same, which in turn can lead to a confirmed ID.

mysteriousoozlefinch

This might be one for the thread too then, even though it's a lack of flash. A member of Company A (Ranger), 259th Infantry of the Delaware National Guard wearing the DI below RANGER tab on black beret taken at deactivation of the unit.

T5p1U49.jpg

I would offer up yet another option. The IOH has never granted "exclusive" use of Flashes and Ovals. Many smaller units, short lived units, etc have made use of other units ovals and flashes over the years. I would say that we are looking at the oval of the 127th Eng Bn later used by Co E (Abn) 3rd Eng Bn, later used by Co A (Abn) 12th Eng Bn, Knowing the way Reserve units were funded in that era it would make sense that the unit had no budget for Ovals and people made use of what ever they could get their hands on. Again, just a thought.

s-l225.jpg

• 1 month later...

sigma9r,

here is a scan of a think sheet for the 6th SOSC. hope it helps

Geoff Barkers SOF/ABN Chronology has 6th SO Spt Cmd was assigned US Army Element, Atlantic Command 1990-1995.

This is how I have it in my collection.

Phill

post-7582-0-30151300-1536397168_thumb.jpg