Jump Wings Question

double canister

double canister

Over the years I've always thrown jump wings into the junk drawer and never paid much attention to them. Recently I began giving them a closer look.

What are some characteristics of WWII jump wings? I realize this may be a messy topic, but I'm looking for some guidelines.

Mark Warren

In general, you are going to be looking for wings that are sterling marked and have a pin back fastener. You will also be looking for a lack of letter- number code markings on the wing. After that, you'll want to be looking for wings with a maker's name or logo on the back, but again, without a letter- number code. You are also going to want wings that are die struck. You can follow the basic rules of aviation wing collecting and apply those rules to parachute badges.

That's is the basic answer.

Allan

double canister

Is the STERLING more apt to be stamped or raised? What about the degrees with which a pin opens?

You will find the sterling mark both raised and stamped. The pin really doesn't have the same rules to them that the aviation wings do. The e90 degree hinge rule is one used to detect Meyer fakes on aviation wings.

Allan

double canister

I really should have been clearer in my original question. The wings I have set back over the years were all sterling marked and mostly pin back. I always assumed they were WWII issue, but didn't know for sure. I guess my real problem comes when trying to decide if a set is wartime or immediate post-war, Korea, etc.

What are the recommended books on subject?

DC,

I've made this comment many times on this forum over the years, but collectors tend to try to put dates on insignia and assume that those are hard dates. The fact of the matter is that if the insignia (for example) is still the same as what is currently being issued, it will continue to be issued. I have gotten pinback sterling parachute badges from Vietnam veterans. The latest one that I have picked up was a PB sterling badge from a guy who graduated from jump school in 1967. It is the exact same wing as I have gotten directly from WWII paratroopers. I have seen plenty of WWII vintage CIB's on VN period uniforms. For some odd reason, people tend to assume that a uniform has been messed with if it has older insignia on it than the period of the uniform. I have also told the story that I awarded the scarce "Operator-S" bar for the driver badge to my soldiers who operated petroleum equipment in Operation Desert Shield and Storm in 1990 and 1991. The bars that showed up through hthe regular supply channels were sterling with a raised sterling mark on each of them. I assume that they were made some fifty years before they were issued.

Unless you can prove that a piece of insignia is later than WWII vintage, it is quite possible that it is WWII vintage.

Allan