1912 cavalry bandolier and M1 clips

hotlead

Hey everyone, can someone with an M-1912 cavalry bandolier and an M1 Garand clip tell me if the M1 clip will fit in the pockets of the 1912 bandolier?

Much thanks.

El Bibliotecario

I don't know if an 8 round M1 clip will fit a M1912 bandolier. I do know that I couldn't quite get one to fit in my M1917 bandolier. While it might be possible to fiddle around and eventually wedge or jam a clip into a pocket, I did not find a practial proposition.

While I had my footlocker of junk out, I also determined a loaded M1 clip will not fit the pockets of a M1903 rifle belt, a M1910 garrison belt, a M1917 garrison belt, or a WW1 era 9 pocket mounted rifle belt, none of which surprised me. What did surpise me was that a loaded M1 clip fits very nicely into the rifle clip pouchs on a WW1 1st assistant BAR gunner's belt.

This question got me wondering how long horse cavalry used the bandolier. Looking in Randy Stefan's THE HORSE SOLDIER (volume 4) I found reference in the text to M1912, M1917, and M1918 bandolier being used after WW1, but his illustrations of cavalry troops in field attire from the '20s, '30s, and the early '40s, with the latter soldiers carrying the M1 rifle, do not show the bandolier in use. I'd be curious if anyone has an idea when they went out of service.

The latest dated pic i can find of a banolier in use is December 8th/1941 Washington D.C

It shows dismounted cavalrymen wearing field jacktes,31 model boots,spurs,breeches and if i recall they have shotguns too.