Some recent Korea/DMZ related finds

Ive decided to put a little more effort into my Korea/DMZ collection. These are some of the better finds of the last week

First up is a really nice tailor made shirt. Lt Col Kennedy was probably the CO for 1st Recon Sqdn, 9th Cav. In 1960 this unit replaced the provisional DMZ Police Company that patrolled the UN Command portion of the DMZ. They also took a number of casualties from hostile action during this period.

The shirt is a very heavy weight material. The direct embroidered collar insignia is a nice touch as is the RCN embroidered into the Cav patch.

I haven't been able to confirm if Kennedy was indeed the CO or when but from his rank its seems pretty likely. The shirt dates to sometime between 1960 and 65.

Next are some patches. The KMAAG Det L patch is ID'd to Capt Leslie J Valouche. This officer also served two tours in Vietnam, 64-65 w/ the 118th AHC and 70-71 as the CO of Troop C, 16th Cav, 164th Aviation Grp. I believe this patch was made sometime in between these two tours as by 1970 he was a Major and the patch clearly says Capt. Although its possible it predates his first Vietnam tour I think its unlikely.

Im pretty sure the two Mustang Airlines patches are for a Korea based aviation unit but if anybody can shed more light on them Id appreciate it. Both patches were made using a blue velvet material. Ive never seen that on Korean made patches before.

The JSA scroll is I believe a late 1960's to early 70's subdued version.

The photo is a nice example of these Korean made photo albums. The covers are usually the best part though. The photos show life around camp and it has some really nice OV 1 Mohawk photos. The 704th MI Det, Aviation Section flew these aircraft on ELINT missions up near the DMZ.

Ive really gotten into this stuff lately, primarily Korean made insignia and uniforms, plaques, photo albums etc from the 1960's through the 1970's.

post-10797-0-38630400-1412567222.jpg

post-10797-0-68999900-1412567236.jpg

post-10797-0-73655000-1412567247.jpg

post-10797-0-09594300-1412567265.jpg

post-10797-0-56981300-1412567283.jpg

D Co. 5/20th Inf 2nd ID Camp Casey ROK
HHC Scouts 2/7th Inf 24 ID Ft Stewart GA
A Co. 4/12 Inf 1 AD Baumholder FRG
HHC Scouts 4/12 Inf 1 AD Baumholder FRG

donation2014.gif

Almost forgot about this one

Korean made full color JSA scroll. This is the first one of these Ive come across. I have a lot of subdued versions and the early green and yellow version, but until now, all of the blue and white scrolls Ive found were US made.

post-10797-0-83759200-1412568556.jpg

donation2014.gif

Forgot this one too.

Korean made subdued 7th ID patch

The shirt, the Mustang Airlines patches and the 7th ID patch were picked over the weekend at the MAX, the rest were ebay scores

post-10797-0-97568400-1412568982.jpg

donation2014.gif

Great pick ups! DMZ items are really underestimated. That's a really sharp-looking shirt. Thanks for sharing

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif

Nice items, and these are a couple of pieces of North Korean propaganda that I picked up when I spent sometime on the 38th Parallel. I am not sure what they say because the KATUSA's would not read them. All they would tell me is that they were in fact North Korean. Come to think of it even a young lady I dated while I was stationed in the ROK would not read them.

post-1412-0-16156500-1412634898.jpgpost-1412-0-16385800-1412634906.jpg

In memory of.....
SSG Jarred S Fontenot US Army KIA Baghdad, Iraq 10-18-07 RIP my friend-Charlie Three Three Delta Out

donation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Nice items, and these are a couple of pieces of North Korean propaganda that I picked up when I spent sometime on the 38th Parallel. I am not sure what they say because the KATUSA's would not read them. All they would tell me is that they were in fact North Korean. Come to think of it even a young lady I dated while I was stationed in the ROK would not read them.

attachicon.gifDSCF3895.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3896.JPG

One night at GP Oulette we had some NORK balloons come down in the wire. They had all sorts of propaganda attached to them. For whatever reason the Katusa I was working with that night had no issue translating them. The messages were directed at the local civilian population and basically ragged on the ROK govt and the US. One particularly good one claimed that Kim Il Sung had turned rice into bullets during the Korean War. They made it out like he had magic powers. We got a big kick out of that one.

But at the time, it scared the crap out of me. By that time I had realized that we were basically speedbumps on the way to Seoul. Cannon fodder, literally. So when the alert sounded and everybody started running around like maniacs, I thought "the balloon has gone up" and we got about 30 seconds to live. Turns out the balloon had actually gone down. we were not about to be turned into goo and pink mist by a storm of indirect and direct fire from our little buddies up the road.

The propaganda stuff was rounded up and turned over to some MI weenies. I managed to steal a few none the less. Unfortunately, the "land of the morning calm" had a parting gift. ALL of my baggage was stolen after I turned it over to Transportation. Every bit of booty I had gathered up and ALL of my uniforms gear etc. Friggin slickee boys.

donation2014.gif

Great pick ups! DMZ items are really underestimated. That's a really sharp-looking shirt. Thanks for sharing

Yes and no, some stuff is quite reasonable, but that KMAAG patch wasn't cheap. I paid a fair amount for that shirt too. Probably a bit more than I should have, I just couldn't leave it behind.

Still, compared to comparable Viet Nam stuff, its still very affordable.

donation2014.gif

Awesome patches and shirt! First Team ~ Sir!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Outstanding materials! I agree that items related to the DMZ are probably underrated. I was not stationed there, but I was a little further south at Camp Casey with 2nd Tank back in 2002. Seeing the DMZ at Pan Mun Jom was haunting really. Having the tour guide say that the soldiers stationed there had an operational life span measured in minutes was really shocking! Hopefully in our lifetime such a place will no longer need to be manned. Great collecting!

WANTED: I collect materials of any age related to the US Army Quartermaster Corps and from the long-defunct Commissary / Subsistence Corps. Anything goes and it doesn't have to be identified to a vet. If it's weird or unusual, please PM me! ASMIC #5650

Very cool stuff! I really like Col. Kennedy's shirt. I have two of his shirts and a studio photo of him in one of my shirts. I collect KW and 1st Cav. stuff. What else do you collect? Thanks for the looksee.

I probably have about a hundred NK leaflets picked up along the DMZ. Most of the stuff I find I write up and put on the Internet, but as you said, it is hard to translate all this stuff. If you could find a willing Korean, because the leaflets are so long and wordy it could take weeks to do just two dozen of them. It would be nice to write something up, but I think it is just too much trouble.

I probably have about a hundred NK leaflets picked up along the DMZ. Most of the stuff I find I write up and put on the Internet, but as you said, it is hard to translate all this stuff. If you could find a willing Korean, because the leaflets are so long and wordy it could take weeks to do just two dozen of them. It would be nice to write something up, but I think it is just too much trouble.

When I go my local dry cleaners I speak to them in as much Hangul as I can in an attempt to remember what I had learned. With that said, I thought about taking the NK propaganda to them to translate. But something tells me, and I may be wrong, that they would not translate it for me just as the KATUSA's wouldn't.

In memory of.....
SSG Jarred S Fontenot US Army KIA Baghdad, Iraq 10-18-07 RIP my friend-Charlie Three Three Delta Out

donation2008.gif

When I go my local dry cleaners I speak to them in as much Hangul as I can in an attempt to remember what I had learned. With that said, I thought about taking the NK propaganda to them to translate. But something tells me, and I may be wrong, that they would not translate it for me just as the KATUSA's wouldn't.

I have a couple of guys that I use for translating but when it comes to this stuff they do a lousy job. You can clearly see that they are uncomfortable. I find the same thing when I ask Chinese friends to read Red Chinese leaflets. They laugh, make little jokes and do maybe 50% of the text.

Very cool stuff! I really like Col. Kennedy's shirt. I have two of his shirts and a studio photo of him in one of my shirts. I collect KW and 1st Cav. stuff. What else do you collect? Thanks for the looksee.

No kidding ?

Could you post some pics ? Would love to see that stuff.

Do you have any further details on his career, or a first name ?

I collect Korean made insignia uniforms etc Mostly 60's and 70's era

Thanks

Joe

donation2014.gif

Those are some neat pieces...but if those are the "magnetic page" type albums, you'll want to put them in something else. Over time, the paper will fuse to the cardboard and/or the plastic sheet and become very difficult (if not impossible) to remove...the ink from the paper will also start to leach into the cardboard.....(I learned this the hard way).

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

One night at GP Oulette we had some NORK balloons come down in the wire. They had all sorts of propaganda attached to them. For whatever reason the Katusa I was working with that night had no issue translating them. The messages were directed at the local civilian population and basically ragged on the ROK govt and the US. One particularly good one claimed that Kim Il Sung had turned rice into bullets during the Korean War. They made it out like he had magic powers. We got a big kick out of that one.

But at the time, it scared the crap out of me. By that time I had realized that we were basically speedbumps on the way to Seoul. Cannon fodder, literally. So when the alert sounded and everybody started running around like maniacs, I thought "the balloon has gone up" and we got about 30 seconds to live. Turns out the balloon had actually gone down. we were not about to be turned into goo and pink mist by a storm of indirect and direct fire from our little buddies up the road.

The propaganda stuff was rounded up and turned over to some MI weenies. I managed to steal a few none the less. Unfortunately, the "land of the morning calm" had a parting gift. ALL of my baggage was stolen after I turned it over to Transportation. Every bit of booty I had gathered up and ALL of my uniforms gear etc. Friggin slickee boys.

Slickee boys. that is a term I haven't heard for a long time and It really sucks that all your stuff was stolen. We also have something in common, I also went from Camp Casey to Fort Stewart. I was with the 3/7 Infantry. The only different being is that by the time I was there it was the 3rd ID.

In memory of.....

donation2008.gif

Those are some neat pieces...but if those are the "magnetic page" type albums, you'll want to put them in something else. Over time, the paper will fuse to the cardboard and/or the plastic sheet and become very difficult (if not impossible) to remove...the ink from the paper will also start to leach into the cardboard.....(I learned this the hard way).

Mark sends

The scrapbook is one of the cheap ones I purchase off post in the ROK. It wasn't one of the better decisions I have made because it actually has sticky pages (magnetic page?) to keep photos from sliding. With that said what ever I put in the book won't be in very good shape if I ever try to take it out. However, I did put two of each of the pieces of propaganda in the book to show both sides. They have also been in there for the better part of 20 years and haven't started to bleed yet, tio include any certificates or other piecees paper that came my way while in the ROK. I guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

In memory of.....

donation2008.gif

That is a great shirt! I spent a few years with 1-9 CAV, so I've always had an interst in items related to the unit's history. Doing a quick search I was able to find that LTC Kennedy was indeed the squadron commander in 1962 while the unit was in Korea. There is a photo with caption from Stars and Stripes in the link below.

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/archive-photo-of-the-day/archive-photo-of-the-day-1.9717/secretary-of-commerce-hodges-in-korea-1962-1.179342#

Also, another one of his shirts, or possible this same one was posted a few years back on this forum under the topic of "Armored Patches Worn on Chest."

CURRAHEE!

• 1 month later...

Brings back a lot of memories of my tour in Korea [1960-61]. Thanks!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.