Unbroken

Airborne1945

W-

Ok, let's leave it at that then.

My apology for possibly suggesting or inferring otherwise.

RC

No apology necessary RC, we're all friends here.

Regards,

Wharf

Will we ever know what a real "rebel yell" sounded like?

Kurt

Kurt,

I saw a show about that a few years ago and they found a recording(of Vets) of the Rebel yell and have the descriptions of many CW vets. They now know what it sounds like and how to do it correctly. The show showed the long journey that it took to get it right.

Terry

I've heard that recording, my Dad has a copy of it, they recorded several confederate vets doing it, I don't recall exactly when.

Shelby Foote in Ken Burns' "The Civil War" PBS series said it'd been lost forever and I never understood why he'd said it.

Sounded like a hog call, but lack of a better description. It sure as heck didn't sound like Bo and Luke Duke on TV!

Patchcollector

"Unbroken" looks like it is a great movie.I look forward to seeing it.Angelina Jolie appears to have done an outstanding job as Director.Louis Zamperini passed away in July 2014,aged 97.

RIP to this Hero.

Here is a link to some info about Mr. Zamperini,and his life:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10942801/Louis-Zamperini-obituary.html

post-13386-0-58658400-1418824975.jpg

post-13386-0-88839300-1418824986.jpg

post-13386-0-09748600-1418825065.jpg

One courageous American. A real winner on so many levels. "Role Model" is truly the highest accolade one can receive.

Without doubt, he rests in peace.

Wharf

I've heard that recording, my Dad has a copy of it, they recorded several confederate vets doing it, I don't recall exactly when.

Shelby Foote in Ken Burns' "The Civil War" PBS series said it'd been lost forever and I never understood why he'd said it.

Sounded like a hog call, but lack of a better description. It sure as heck didn't sound like Bo and Luke Duke on TV!

Here is a link...it's a genetic thing...we could yelp it a birth...

http://26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/rebel-yell.html

Zamperini is a testament to his generation. ..not the best of beginnings. ..but dealt with the trials that were presented in his life.He overcame it all.They mostly came back from the War and went forward...

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I'm reading the book now. The brutality may be hard to watch but what is that compared to what the men and women who were in the Pacific went through and that includes my dad. I'm glad my kids got to know their grandfather. I think that personal connection with someone who lived through it will serve them well in life. As for Mr. Zamperini, may he rest in peace.

The only thing that upsets me more than watching American POWs being brutalized by the Japanese is all the naive people that love referring to the children of the Depression as " The Greatest Generation ".

Like all generations, some were great, some were not. I should know, I was raised by them.

W

I'm with you on that. One of the greatest disservices done to the WW2 generation was to call them the greatest generation. To me its both an insult to them and to any that came before or after. They were no different than any other generation. They overcame what they had to. Think of all the folks who've done multiple tours since 9/11. People of any generation rise to the occasion when they need to. They were just as human and imperfect as any other group.

Our quest to romanticize them is just as silly as finding some glory in war. The combat guys would tell you how full of it that is.

As for the movie, if it's half as good as the book it will be worth seeing.

ViewfinderGyrene

Already caught an unenthusiastic review in one major news publication. The main critique was that it "didn't even begin to tell the full story of his captivity".

Having not seen it, I can assert faily confidently that NO movie could truly capture the horror of captivity under the Japanese. Not to do any equating, but from what I've read the German captors seem tame compared to that which I've read happening to our men in the hands of the Japanese. Mind you I don't have any sympathy for the Wehrmacht under the Reich...I merely remember allied POWs and camp guards relating the "soldier-to- soldier" relationship. I have NEVER heard this from a Japanese camp survivor.

I will be very interested to see it.

pathfinder505

Went to see the movie tonight. I liked it. It was very moving especially at the end. The audience applauded when it was over.

I'm off to see in right now. Really looking forward to it. Not much so far on reviews with this thread...went off on a bit of a tangent but I'll post back afterwards. I'm confident it's going to be pretty great. If its anywhere near as good as the book I'll be happy.

Well, that makes me too mad to type much of anything coherent.

Yeah, me too, especially once I read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutsuhiro_Watanabe

So, the guard who tortured this guy laid low until the war crimes trials came and went, then lived out a full life until he passed in 2003, totally unrepentant of what he did. And unpunished. Could you imagine a Nazi war criminal 'just laying low' until Nuremberg was over with, and then free to live his life afterward, regardless what he'd done in WW2?

It just kills me how the Germans owned up to what they did in WW2 and genuinely seem to collectively understand the evils their nation did, but the Japanese still teach their school kids that WW2 was Japan exerting their lawful rights in the Pacific rim against the evils of the Western devils. I confirmed that a few years ago from someone who taught English in Japan that it is indeed what these kids are being taught. It boils my blood every time I think about that.

ViewfinderGyrene

I'm with you on that. One of the greatest disservices done to the WW2 generation was to call them the greatest generation. To me its both an insult to them and to any that came before or after. They were no different than any other generation. They overcame what they had to. Think of all the folks who've done multiple tours since 9/11. People of any generation rise to the occasion when they need to. They were just as human and imperfect as any other group.

Our quest to romanticize them is just as silly as finding some glory in war. The combat guys would tell you how full of it that is.

As for the movie, if it's half as good as the book it will be worth seeing.

Maybe yes an over-glorification or blanket statement, but I certainly wouldn't say a disservice. It may be slightly beside the point, but I beleive it ties in strongly to the purpose of this movie.

The men and women themselves would never accept a "title" like Greatest, because they are humble. I have seen the expression ring true in regards to the Home Front even moreso than the Armed Forces. The civilians and families of servicemen backed the cause. They paid attention to what was going on. My grandmother remembers tracking her uncle's movement on a child's map based on what he mother told her from news. Now, most of my generation have no clue what goes on in the world because they DON'T care.

You do not see that type of support behind our military today [the last such was probably Gulf in the 90s]. Obviously, warfare has changed, but I think I'd faint if I saw anything, such as a news short or cartoon making fun of the enemies of Freedom itself.

I would never compare my generation of civilians to those during the War. Apathy, disrespect, and indifference plague teenagers, and many of their parents don't do anything about it. If my generation could be in any way equated to that of the War, they would have respect for their elders and know their history better than Celebrity gossip and pay attention to what goes on in this world. Because no matter what the political climate, what goes on in the Middle East weighs much heavier on our lives than seeing Kardashian's bare rear end!

I notice a severe increase in selfishness within our country. Imagine if the conditions warranted rationing of any kind again, there would be riots!

The WWII Generation was Great, Louis Zamperini was one of them. That by no means implies they were/are perfect. Anybody young or old who would think that is foolish. The term was coined because of the unity. Isolated opinions like America First were simply ignored because so much hung in the balance. Imagine if we ignored those who condemn and defame our military today [which happens almost weekly on our supposedly best campuses]? Hell would break loose because they have no clue how important National Defense is. The War Effort alone is testimony that their generation DID know the importance...

I am thankful they have produced a Bio-Pic for once, it was long in the coming. Can't wait!

Saw the movie and I would have to say that they did leave out some significant parts, the thing that got to me the most is that in the book he meets Hitler at the Olympics and in the movie its never even mentioned that he meets him. but over all it was a good movie.

I did really enjoy the movie as did my Wife. She bought me the book but hasn't read it herself yet. I told her she should read it now as the movie, as always, leaves out a lot. It is a movie though, not a documentary. There was just to much amazing material in this man's life to cover it all. I thought it was interesting that the actor playing "Bird" had never acted before. I believe he is a rock/pop star in Japan. He does a very good job and comes off as very disturbing and menacing. I know some were hesitant to see the movie because of the violence and mistreatment towards the POW's. There are some scenes of beatings and abuse but not nearly as detailed and frequent as what is described in the book. I didn't notice any glaring mistakes as far as uniforms and equipment. The CGI scenes were good and not overused. Overall and excellent movie and well worth seeing. Inspirational to say the least.

I forgot to say this before but the beginning bombing raid scene is one of the best air combat scenes I have ever seen, it feels like you are in the B-24 with the crew!

Maybe yes an over-glorification or blanket statement, but I certainly wouldn't say a disservice. It may be slightly beside the point, but I beleive it ties in strongly to the purpose of this movie.

The men and women themselves would never accept a "title" like Greatest, because they are humble. I have seen the expression ring true in regards to the Home Front even moreso than the Armed Forces. The civilians and families of servicemen backed the cause. They paid attention to what was going on. My grandmother remembers tracking her uncle's movement on a child's map based on what he mother told her from news. Now, most of my generation have no clue what goes on in the world because they DON'T care.

You do not see that type of support behind our military today [the last such was probably Gulf in the 90s]. Obviously, warfare has changed, but I think I'd faint if I saw anything, such as a news short or cartoon making fun of the enemies of Freedom itself.

I would never compare my generation of civilians to those during the War. Apathy, disrespect, and indifference plague teenagers, and many of their parents don't do anything about it. If my generation could be in any way equated to that of the War, they would have respect for their elders and know their history better than Celebrity gossip and pay attention to what goes on in this world. Because no matter what the political climate, what goes on in the Middle East weighs much heavier on our lives than seeing Kardashian's bare rear end!

I notice a severe increase in selfishness within our country. Imagine if the conditions warranted rationing of any kind again, there would be riots!

The WWII Generation was Great, Louis Zamperini was one of them. That by no means implies they were/are perfect. Anybody young or old who would think that is foolish. The term was coined because of the unity. Isolated opinions like America First were simply ignored because so much hung in the balance. Imagine if we ignored those who condemn and defame our military today [which happens almost weekly on our supposedly best campuses]? Hell would break loose because they have no clue how important National Defense is. The War Effort alone is testimony that their generation DID know the importance...

I am thankful they have produced a Bio-Pic for once, it was long in the coming. Can't wait!

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. We've not been asked to go on a wartime footing since then. You can't tell me for one second this country wouldn't have done that after 9/11 had we been asked. We weren't. The message was go about your lives.

What really made me think about this was my nephew. He was one of those teenagers you refer to. Lousy at school, a bit of a screw up who paid more attention to video games than the world around him. He ended up in the 101st and did a year in Afghanistan. He watched his best buddy get his legs blown off five feet away and saw a lot of combat up close and personal. He buried a lot of buddies but did his job.

We were at a gathering one time after he was home and someone started up on the greatest generation stuff. Now keep in mind I've idolized the WW2 vets for most of my 54 years. They have always been my heroes. Despite that I had to say something, pointing out that lots of folks, like my nephew the teenage screw up stepped up and did thier part and endured the savagery of war. How is his generation any different? How are the Korean or Vietnam war vets any different?

You sell us and the WW2 vets short by making them more than they were. They'll always be my heroes, but not because they were greater than any other generation, but because they were just like us.

Every generation produces exceptional people like Louis Zamperini, thankfully.

And I'd suggest a bit of research on the time before Pearl Harbor and how the country looked at national defense and going to war. compare budgets for military spending from then and now. No comparison as to spending on defense. Ask the soldiers who trained with wooden rifles and cardboard tanks. The unity you speak of was not there until the bombs dropped. Then it became personal. I don't believe for one second this country would not have done exactly the same after 9/11 if we'd been asked. The unity was there after the towers went down. The approach our leaders took was different.