Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly

Ed Fedory

As riveting and intense as watching spaghetti boil...

A closely woven intrigue and plot resembling a fishing net...

As rapidly paced as Olympian snail races...

O'Really, O'Reilly?

O'Reilly and his partner continue to ride to the top of the best sellers' list on the quality of their first two books. The entire book consists of background information and the thoughts of any conspiracy are left until the final chapters of the book. The suspense builds at the speeding pace of hardening arteries. This book might have made an interesting brochure, but hardly achieves any stature of being placed on a bookshelf with other serious works on military history. A total waste of $30 and reading time.

teufelhunde.ret

Just another "this book is based on actual events" like so many other books on history, they can be a boring read. I found it to be an interesting quick read, held your attention, moved along at a good pace. And as for actual facts, each reader should be allowed to draw their own conclusion.

It's NOT Killing Lincoln or Killing Kennedy...if you are curious about events leading up to Patton's death, get it from the library...but as far as the pre-publication hype goes, it is sadly lacking. But that's Jus' Ed.

teufelhunde.ret

Just another "this book is based on actual events" ... And as for actual facts, each reader should be allowed to draw their own conclusion.

Email him and tell him, you might wind up on The Factor

better still you might have Jesse Watters come around an interview you?????

Garth Thompson

Decent read but presents no compelling evidence there was a plot to kill Patton. Available at Costco for $16

This is my one star review I posted on Amazon. Check out my research on my website www.heroesatmargraten.com

Peter

The authors and the book don't take their readers serious. The entire book is fiction based on historical characters and events. There is not one shred of evidence to substanciate the claim that Patton was killed. O'Reilly on top of page 310 even quotes a report that has disappeared. Duh. What more can I say; it is history-lite and has nothing to do with the battles he describes or the death of General Patton.
Check out my research of Patton's accident and death at www.heroesatmargraten.com to find out what really happened.

Manchu Warrior

Isn't this written by the same guy who claimed that it was American soldiers that massacred Germans at Malmedy? And why would anyone spend $30.00 on his book? Just wait a few weeks and I guarantee you they will be available on the bookshelf at your local Goodwill for $2.50. You can even get it cheaper if you buy three books.

I worried about this. When I was working last in a bookstore I put together a Bill O'Reilly Assassination collection shelf. The damn books sold REALLY well.

I fear and dread reading it as I might hurt someone when I throw it across the room, so that's for reading it for me.

One question, does he get into any of the deception stuff Patton was involved with? Beyond what an average reader of WW2 might know? I ask as I have been working on some rather obscure and interesting threads linking some of them together.

• 4 weeks later...

With all of the great history books out there why would anyone serious about history read any of O'Reilly's books? They belong on the historical fiction shelves of bookstores and libraries. It sickens me to see his books on the non-fiction best seller lists, while some great really well researched and written history books fade into anonymity. You only have so much time in life and only so much time to devote to reading, spend it wisely by reading quality stuff!

this is the book Ive always wanted to read, the author was interviewed on Coast to Coast a few years ago, real or not it seemed like an interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1596985798/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GZBQ4OMLKC5H&coliid=I1S8AN4MXP1F64

LF

LF,

The author of this book goes to great length to proof that Patton was killed. He ignored the overwhelming proof that Patton wasn't killed. Read my article on Patton's accident at my website www.heroesatmargraten.com

Peter Hendrikx

www.heroesatmargraten.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip PJK. I just read your most informative explanation of Patton's unfortunate accident and eventual death. I can not understand how anyone can derive any other conclusion but the one your research has revealed. I can only surmise O'Reilly took a documented historical event of a major figure, in order to create another best seller, and amassed a mountain of circumstantial evidence to build a fictional case in order to sell books. I have to tell you, you saved me $20.00 or so dollars and I thank you. I will digest your conclusion and leave it there.

• 4 months later...

I wondered what new facts O'Reilly would have to say about General Patton. So I decided to hold off on reading it---even a loaner one---until I heard any good reviews.

I read "Killing Kennedy" and I was familiar with most of the events. What was interesting additions were his comments about the affairs that went on. I believe this book was listed as a source for one of the TV documentaries that was aired at 50th Anniversary of Kennedy's death.

Next, I considered his book "Killing Jesus". What new twist did he have to tell about Jesus? Now they made a "movie" that was aired on Fox. It sure looked much like the other Hollywood epics but with non-Ayran actors.

I think I can wait a little longer.

PJK Hendrikx

Custerman,

Don't wait any longer; read my article that I wrote on the accident. It is on my website www.heroesatmargraten.com

However, I have yet to update the article with a short comment on O'Reilly's book, as it doesn't warrant a serious review. Also I uncovered new documents by Patton's chief of staff who was in the car with him, so I still have to change a few minor incidents and sequences in the story. Eventually we will write a book or pamphlet about the real facts.

Peter Hendrikx

www.heroesatmargraten.com

www.d-day-publishing.com

I hope you will bring it out and I would buy me a signed copy in a heartbeat.

Because I am so tired of all this b.llsh.t that is published by types like O'Reilly.

Too bad some people lack the brains to see what a hoaxes are being put in some books and on the internet ....

Erwin

• 3 months later...

I wasn't planning on buying it... then I received it as a gift. I am involved in a 3rd Army Living History Group and our Patton is somewhat the Patton Historian himself. I was utterly disappointed in this book. To me it was a jumble of Patton related information widely available from numerous sources with a lot of inconsequential information tossed in, ending suddenly with a 'form your own opinion' ending. If you're reading this with the hope that O'Reilly will shed light on the alleged conspiracy to kill Patton save your money and don't waste your time. If you want a better Patton read, I'd suggest "The Patton Papers: 1940-1945" by Martin Blumenson. It is much more in depth and gives a much more in depth look at Patton the man, and why he did things the way he did.

"The Patton Papers: 1940-1945" by Martin Blumenson is indeed a "must have" if you're interested in General Patton.

Erwin

uniformcollector

A friend of mine wrote one of the best selling books on Patton and says that although deaths this historic tend to stir up controversy, speaking with Patton's children and the other two people in the car, this death was just the result of drunk driving.

ustpatcher1a

"The Patton Papers: 1940-1945" by Martin Blumenson is indeed a "must have" if you're interested in General Patton.

Erwin

When a high schooler in '69 when"patton' film came out, I read every Patton book I could find. I will add O'reilly's book to my enjoyment and research. I have visited Gen Patton's two story large house in san marino, CA near Pasadena CA.

post-159226-0-18295200-1437363347.jpg

• 3 months later...