WW1 helmet and asbestos

FreeRange

I am not overly concerned about the asbestos in my WW1 helmet but figured I should err on the side of caution nonetheless.

I put a square of felt inside that covers the white lining and what is left of the wool lining...I figure this should keep any errant asbestos fibres contained.

Just checking to see if my thinking is correct!

ive been told that if the pad isnt coming apart it really isnt a big issue as long as you dont pull on it or something as i also wanted to be sure with mine, you could always have it removed (if you are that worried which you dont seem to be) but ive also been told you can go over it with a layer of lacquer and that will seal it

I could seal it with something, I suppose...but I'm not sure if I want to do that. I will keep it in mind as an option though! Thanks!

I think the fibers are too small to be blocked by that it would help some I suppose.

I didn't realize the fibres are that small! I just figured they'd 'stick' to the felt. The helmet won't be moved often...just for dusting once in a while...and in the off chance a visitor picks it up...

I didn't realize the fibres are that small! I just figured they'd 'stick' to the felt. The helmet won't be moved often...just for dusting once in a while...and in the off chance a visitor picks it up...

and thats why i keep mine on the top shelf, if its on the top shelf they generally ask if they can see it and then you tell them to be aware that there is asbestos and so on

88thcollector

I don't think ww1 soldiers had a big issue with mesothelioma. WW2, Korean and VN vets do but they had huge asbestos exposure.

the only concern is loose, airborne particles. You could seal it with some sort of clear coating like polyurethane or such. I am leaving mine alone.

THeres worse things in your tap water to worry about than a few WW1 helmets I own

Im more likely to be killed by some chic driving an SUV and texting than a helmet I have owned for 40 years.