2nd Armored Helmet Set

Sparty On

This is my most recent addition and just in time before the movie Fury is released in a few weeks. Some of you may recall seeing this set at the SoS earlier this year. With the help of another forum member I was able to make contact with the seller a few months ago and make a deal. The unit mark on the shell is actually a painted metal triangle. What's interesting is there appears to be a number "2" painted on the back of the helmet. I'm not sure if it's related to the 2nd Armored Division or not but us interesting none the less. I also found a photo of a captain marked helmet with a similar unit mark on the front in my 67th Armored Regiment book.

post-104736-0-71233000-1412306144.jpeg

This photo is a of Captain Lawrence B. Malloy, Third Battalion, Surgeon wearing his Captains helmet with 2nd armored unit mark.

post-104736-0-58660700-1412307145.jpg

Interesting. I've had a few 2nd ADs before and I've never seen an insignia made out of metal like that. How is it attached?

-j

I'm thinking it is applied by some kind of epoxy. It doesn't appear to be metal after all because it is not magnetic. So possibly it was formed out of resin or something pliable that hardens.

USMC-RECON0321

Mike,

I inspected this helmet set in hand at the SOS and I really like it! I'm sure there is an interesting story behind the custom insignia and rank. I would also love to know what is hidden under the thick paint at the rear of the helmet.

Congrats

Troy