WWII USO Living Records!

USdog

I got these in a small Navy wwii group in Ohio. These were with it. For those who don't know, in WWII an individual could make a recording of themselves on a record and send it home! I really want to listen to them but don't have a record player. :(

Anybody have one of these?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My father had a recording made by his brother who was in the Marines. He was killed on Iwo Jima .

He would never allow it to be played. Now that my father has passed away I may try to find it.

strawberry 9

I love these "letter home" records. They were common in the USO's and Red Cross. Pepsi did a lot of them too. I pick them up whenever I can and have a record player to play them on. Some are clearer than others, most are made of cardboard, and are always fun to listen too. Congrats, get yourself a record player and enjoy!

Garandomatic

If you were closer, I'd volunteer y services. I have one or two of the small "educational" portable record players that the school canned a few years ago.

I seem to come across a record player every couple of weeks at the flea market or at a yard sale. Keep your eyes open and you can find one pretty cheap, probably under $20 -- I bought one for $5, so they're available. As soon as I get a new preamp I'm gonna listen to the Pepsi record sent home from a GI which I bought a few weeks back. The seller said it was a little scratchy but still easy to make out what he was saying.

Garandomatic

Yeah, undoubtedly. I think even 45s didn't come out until after WWII. Most new players (and even the 1980s stereo units are included in my description of 'new') won't cover that, but I think the digital converter type players will.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a record player. Was really cool to listen to them, although many were hard to hear. But I really enjoyed a few that people recorded their music on and sent to the service member.

• 3 months later...
VladimirBerkov

These WW2 era self-recordings are almost all 78rpm. Vintage players, such as the crank-style that uses steel needles will play them but cause wear damage to the records so you don't want to do it too often. More modern electric turntables will play them with less wear and effort. While an interesting historical artifact, these usually don't have much interesting on them unless they are a personal family artifact. The reality is that most of them have poor recording quality, much poorer than commercial-quality 78s of the period, and are things like little 5 year old girls saying something unintelligible into the recorder for Daddy. So all in all, an interesting thing to have as part of a collection but not the sort of thing that's too interesting to listen to regularly.