Did anyone here buy this 1941 Canteen?

Morlok

Garandomatic

I was on the winning side of somebody hoping no one would notice my auction. Set it at $50 starting bid, $100 buy it now. Pair of WWI British/Canadian pants. At the time, I didn't know that if they are in good enough shape to physically exist, they are worth a boatload. If they were American, the condition would make them worth about $5. Thank goodness the guy did bid. They jumped to $600 in the last hour of the auction. Three-country bidding war.

How about 1941 mess kits? I had one and sold it for barely more than I paid at the surplus store. Youse guys musta been sleepin!

Hey Ron,

Nice 1945 cover!! 1945 dated canteen covers was a year of some off the wall odd canteen cover makers which many companies not seen prior or before 1945 ! I wonder if it had to do with the big invasion of Japan and getting ready for it that never happen?

Craig

It actually has more to do with the depression and the economic state of the United States prior to the entry and during the war. Roosevelt and other entities in the government instituted a stimulus plan taking advantage of the spending for the war effort, this is more formally known as the Smaller War Plants Corporation. Basically the Treasury Dept. monitored monopolies on contracts now some items were very specialized canteen covers are not in which any company with a sewing machine could make them. Through 1944 many companies were being cut off from bidding or multiple contracts were awarded to a hand full of companies to spread the wealth sort of speak. Instead of awarding the one lowest bidder a contract the Treasury Dept. accepted the 3 lowest bids or more. Many companies were a one time shot. The idea was to spark the economy regionally across the nation this is why you see all these odd ball manufacturers, it all had to do with eliminating monopolies.

Hey Dustin,

I would say your right on that but also wanted to add that the government in the early war years needed to awarded contracts to companies that could meet the high production demands and a perfect example is why Bantam lost it's Jeep contract to Ford & willys and was gaven the Jeeps trailer production that they more could handle.

The Sherman tank was another story, the German had the better tanks by far but the mass production of Sherman tanks out gun the Germans and helped win the war.

I think in 1945 as you said they started to accept the 3 lowest bids on manufactoring of equipment I read were the government was almost broke from the war and I'm sure was looking for a cheaper way of keep the fight going on and the 7th loan war bond drive was a must and was born because of this.

Craig

I know I'm right, its a fact. You are specifically picking items out of tens of thousands and the items you mention are specialty items requiring vast production capabilities and assemblies lines, Sherman Tanks and jeeps cannot be compared to canteen covers. The monitoring of monopolies began in 1942 with the majority of goods manufactured during the war by small companies. The QMC Historical study on Procurement and Contracts though a very boring read talks about this extensively. History Channel documentaries are not encompassing of the overall war effort. There was other purposes to issue multiple contracts even in 1942 1. this kept the price competitive 2. the supply was not reliant on one source so with multiple sources there was almost always a guarantee for the delivery of products not putting all your eggs in one basket and the respective service purchasing offices had options for requisitioning items. The myth that the government was struggling and desperate is not entirely true. the realistic view is that the government was waiting for the manufacturing companies to tool and organize for the war effort. Assembly manufacturers had to wait for material manufacturers etc. and by awarding multiple contracts with multiple entities in production supply would catch up eventually. Yes there was a high demand but when you increase that demand by 1000% in 3 months even a year companies have tool their factories and obtain materials. Bottom line is that the procurement divisions within the services were awarded multiple contracts from 1942 till the wars end.

Garandomatic

Something I read recently goes along with what you are saying, but presented it as a continuation of the New Deal. Spread the contracts out, public works style, among sometimes little and obscure companies. Not sure where I read it.

• 2 months later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1941-DATED-CANTEEN-SET-INCLUDES-CUP-AND-COVER-EXCELLENT-/291254911676?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=w3AiT7%252BHkaRCHL8Hg%252FV5Mx%252ByWkU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Just wondering if a forum member picked this up. It went for quite a bit & I'm afraid that was partly my fault!! I didn't know that if you bid on a item that has a "buy it now" price that the option would disappear. I saw the listing when it first went up & it had a BIN price of $300. I bid the minimum of $150 & the price went through the roof! I now wish I would have clicked the BIN option! I know how rare these are & I may never see another one for sale!! Dangit!!

MORLOK,

IF YOU ACCIDENTLY PUT IN A BID OR REALIZE THAT YOU'VE ENTERED WRONG AMOUNT, YOU CAN GO ONTO THE HELP PAGE AND TYPE "RETRACT A BID". IT WILL GIVE YOU 4 OPTIONS TO CHOSE WHAT HAPPENED AND START FRESH AGAIN. THERE AREN'T ANY STRIKES AGAINST YOU FOR DOING SO.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

• 10 months later...

I posted a wile back here on the forum my 1944 US made canteen covers and the only one I don't have is a Shane MFG one. I started the 1944 US made canteen cover thread.

Here is the list of 1944 US made canteen covers I know of so far?

Gates MFG CO 1944

Airtress Midland 1944

Collette MFG CO 1944

Jeff Q.M.D. 1944

Shane MFG 1944

Craig