Fixed bail with possible improvised USMC cover.

jkash23686

Poncho fabric does NOT fray like cotton.

Its really sturdy and robust treated heavy duty waterproof cloth.

My thoughts exactly.

I still like this helmet and for the price of a regular fixed loop, I bet it displays super nice!

J

My thoughts exactly.

I still like this helmet and for the price of a regular fixed loop, I bet it displays super nice!

J

Whether it displays super nice or not I still find the added poncho cut cover to not be an all original battle field used piece brought back by the vet.

Which ever way you cut this cake , it's a fixed bail helmet with a questionable poncho camo cover.

It was bought at a good price so big smiles all round :-)

Poncho fabric does NOT fray like cotton.

Its really sturdy and robust treated heavy duty waterproof cloth.

I may be wrong but with the other spot blead through this is just weird enough to be good.

Who knows when it was done but this poncho fabric was used right up till Vietnam and even made into uniforms on okinawia for recon.

owen

That may be the case but all fabrics bleach and loose colour. If your in the jungles of vietnam with the tropical weather or on the hills of okinawa , this cover would have been hit by the intense sunlight or downpour of rain at some point.

Or maybe he was on a ship the entire time , my point is the fabric is not what I would look for on a used combat lid.

Yes it looks nice and will display nice , but in my opinion I feel it was added at a later date.

That being said its an interesting piece that has sparked a lively debate on fabrics and what to look for

:-)

Win win

I just picked this one up off of ebay. Its a fixed bail with a firestone liner and a piece of USMC poncho that the seller said was an improvised cover. He had taken it off for the pics and I was able to get it back on and there was only one way it fit and there was a bit of rust on the cover.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I'm not up on my USMC stuff.

Whether it displays super nice or not I still find the added poncho cut cover to not be an all original battle field used piece brought back by the vet.

Who even ever said that though?? Unless I'm reading things wrong, nobody here, nor the OP implied this helmet was an original "Battle field used piece brought back by a vet" ...

J

Who even ever said that though?? Unless I'm reading things wrong, nobody here, nor the OP implied this helmet was an original "Battle field used piece brought back by a vet" ...

J

Wrong post on my part , that was for something else

Best

D~

• 5 years later...

I found another. What do you think? It’s a front seam swivel bail.

Pictures are from the listing and are not the best. My apologies.

-Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk