Fixed bail with possible improvised USMC cover.

jkash23686

I just picked this one up off of ebay. Its a fixed bail with a firestone liner and a piece of USMC poncho that the seller said was an improvised cover. He had taken it off for the pics and I was able to get it back on and there was only one way it fit and there was a bit of rust on the cover.
Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I'm not up on my USMC stuff.
-j

post-22057-0-06531000-1412286095.jpg

Sorry, I don't think this stands any chance of being an actual USMC cover.

Just something someone made from poncho material, probably to 'improve' the value and market as a USMC helmet.

Sort of like all the fake German helmet covers made from Zeltbahns, but even less effort is required.

-Steve

I like how the cover is darker near the rim, this is the area where water would "pool-up" and take longer to dry. What does the paint on the shell and liner look like? (I'm wondering if it has that distinctive USMC green repaint.)

I like how the cover is darker near the rim, this is the area where water would "pool-up" and take longer to dry. What does the paint on the shell and liner look like? (I'm wondering if it has that distinctive USMC green repaint.)

Grant,

I did have to put the cover back on, but thats the only way it would fit and cover the whole thing. Heres a pic from the listing of the lid I'm too lazy to take the cover back off :)

post-22057-0-58269800-1412288872.jpg

No worries! I think it stands a chance. It definitely looks as though it features a repaint. This, in addition to a later liner, and in improvised cover kind of gives me the impression the wearer was upgrading his rig.

No worries! I think it stands a chance. It definitely looks as though it features a repaint. This, in addition to a later liner, and in improvised cover kind of gives me the impression the wearer was upgrading his rig.

Thanks,

I just think the cover looks cool on the shelf either way.

-j

Fresh cutting edges on the cover , if it was old and used it would be slightly frayed and not sharp . Too me thats a recent cut on the material.

I'm not a fan of this one

D

Fresh cutting edges on the cover , if it was old and used it would be slightly frayed and not sharp .

Would a rain poncho fray the same way normal cotton helmet covers would? Wouldn't it be more of a rigid cloth, not likely prone to normal fraying? I don't know, I have never handled a rain poncho.

the fraying - I had to put the cover back on, as you see it, it was the only way I could get it on, but it is a good point. IF it was on the helmet previously im not 100% sure this is how it was on the lid but it was as close as I could get it. Would it fray? I'm not sure, if it would fray per se but depending on conditions I could see how you would expect it to be more beat up. But having no history on this helmet who knows, there is some fading, dirt and i can see stains on it which was what i tried to line up.

THATS WHY I SAY-- ASK QUESTIONS FIRST - I knew there was a possibility of it just being put on the lid I knew EXACTLY what I was buying and why I payed the same amount as a regular old fixed bail and a helmet liner. I just thought it looked cool specially with the difference in color of the green side of the poncho compared to a normal USMC cover. Its not like the seller was saying it was form Iwo or somewhere specific and wanted a mint. I'd never seen anything like it and just thought it would look cool on the shelf :)

The fresh cut was also my concern.

If you look where the cuts are you can clearly see the vibrant colours of the poncho , if this helmet was a combat used piece you would see bleaching , dirt , and even slight loss of colour.

This is a freshly cut poncho , and not 60 odd years old.

Poncho fabric does NOT fray like cotton.

Its really sturdy and robust treated heavy duty waterproof cloth.

I may be wrong but with the other spot blead through this is just weird enough to be good.

Who knows when it was done but this poncho fabric was used right up till Vietnam and even made into uniforms on okinawia for recon.

owen