Unopened Krag Bandolier

03gyrene

A friend of my fathers who knows he likes guns stopped by and gave him this!! Apparently found in some "junk" they were getting ready to put in a garage sale. Since I have a Krag (very nice one too I might brag), my father handed it over to me on my last visit home recently.

post-2085-0-22888300-1412274000.jpg

post-2085-0-00510800-1412274013.jpg

RustyCanteen

So this bandolier would date from 1917?

Yes. Many krag rifles were still in use for training and state-side guard duty. Several thousand krags were also issued to units sent to France in 1917. Remington continued production of the .30 Army (.30-40 Krag) into 1918.

RC

RC, Excellent thread on bandoliers!! Thanks for providing the link. I'd love to take a peek inside the bandolier, but something just won't let me... maybe curiosity will win out someday.

O3Gyrene

I had one like that unopened from Frankford Arsenal, although it may have been a an earlier date.

MAN I miss my Krag, it was about a 98% example....a real beauty.

RustyCanteen

I had no idea any units carried it overseas. Do you know which ones might have?

I was planning on making a thread about that, but finding the time is not easy. I'll see what I can pull together. I want to get everything in order because there is some inaccurate and wrong information about them out there.

RC

RustyCanteen

RC, Excellent thread on bandoliers!! Thanks for providing the link. I'd love to take a peek inside the bandolier, but something just won't let me... maybe curiosity will win out someday.

O3Gyrene

Thanks for the compliments. The cartridges in your bandolier probably just have an RA 17 headstamp. Being sealed makes it extra nicer.

RC

I have a 30 Gov. 30-03 bandolier. Cartridges with 220 grain slugs dated 1905. If I recall, velocity was stamped on too. Will have to dig it out.

W

I had no idea any units carried it overseas. Do you know which ones might have?

I seem to recall reading somewhere pre internet, that certain support units that arrived late 1917 had them, like there was an engineer unit I remember that presumably had Krags, they was rushed to the front in March 1918 into the British Sector because of Micheal.

RustyCanteen

I have a 30 Gov. 30-03 bandolier. Cartridges with 220 grain slugs dated 1905. If I recall, velocity was stamped on too. Will have to dig it out.

W

W, please post it once you can find it. I need to update the .30-03 post in my thread but would love to see it.

RC

RustyCanteen

I seem to recall reading somewhere pre internet, that certain support units that arrived late 1917 had them, like there was an engineer unit I remember that presumably had Krags, they was rushed to the front in March 1918 into the British Sector because of Micheal.

Patches, mostly right. In mid 1917 several engineer regiments were sent to France. Of those, most had krags. Three of them were sent to serve in the British sectors to the north, and another to the French sector in the south. Two more were detailed to port construction on the coasts. Two of the three in the British sector were present at the battle of Cambrai in November 1917, where portions of both units came under hostile rifle and mg fire. Shelling was a constant threat, so if you want to count shelling then they came under fire before the battle.

By March 1918 the units on the British front no longer had krag rifles. The last action the us krags saw in WWI would have been in November-December 1917.

At some point I may yet make my thread about it detailing it. The units had old equipment for the most part.

RC

Thanks Rusty, here's a older talk on the Krag bayonet from late 2008-early 2009.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32726-did-the-us-still-use-m1892-krag-bayonets-during-ww1/

And a page for the Great War 302nd Eng Regt that was one of these Engineer units armed with the Krag Jorgensen.

http://www.longwood.k12.ny.us/history/upton/302eng/craw1.htm

RustyCanteen

Thanks Rusty, here's a older talk on the Krag bayonet from late 2008-early 2009.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32726-did-the-us-still-use-m1892-krag-bayonets-during-ww1/

And a page for the Great War 302nd Eng Regt that was one of these Engineer units armed with the Krag Jorgensen.

http://www.longwood.k12.ny.us/history/upton/302eng/craw1.htm

Some of the information in the first thread is outdated/incorrect. I'll see about sitting down this coming week to make my post if anyone is interested.

Some of the information in the first thread is outdated/incorrect. I'll see about sitting down this coming week to make my post if anyone is interested.

Yeah sure, please do.