Desert Storm Question

AndrewA74

hello, theres a person on ebay who is selling m16 mags for 10-15 bucks a mag. i'll get you the link if you want it, let me know.

Naw, that's ok. Preciate it though.

Andrew

Just an aside on the woodland Bdus and boot options.

The woodland camo BDUs were tested by the 2nd of 75th Rangers spring of 82 I got my first 2 sets 3 months before Grenada,which was Oct.83,we were allowed to wear the pickle suits (OD green fatiques till Jan. 84.We were issued the black leather combat boots and being in Wa. state were issued one pair of green jungle boots,We often private purchased black jump boots and had them re-soled with what were known as moonboot treads.Many of the troops (U.S. Army) rotating back from Germany came back to Ft. Lewis and brought back German combat boots which became known as Ft. Lewis boots,a number of desert storm pics I saw at the time showed some troops in them.My flak jacket was actually a vietnam issue green vest.My M-16a1 was made by Harrington and Richards and my 1911a1 was made by Singer,commo men and heavy weapons crews were issued the .45s.Even during Desert Storm,the M-60 tank guys had M-3 grease guns.Sorry to get off post,but with it being mentioned thought I'd chip in.

• 13 years later...
WWIIman1942
On 6/27/2008 at 10:43 AM, BEAST said:

Nice impression.

The standard green helmet band woud be worn also. You would have your name on the front written in magic marker or embroidered. Also, IIRC, you would have a combat roster number on one side and your blood type on the other. Others on the forum can correct me on these details, but I think I am correct.

Could you educate me on what a combat roster number is? Thanks!

1 hour ago, WWIIman1942 said:

Could you educate me on what a combat roster number is? Thanks!

Not sure if you’re aware, but you’re asking a question on a 14-year-old post.  

Actually 14 years today.

WWIIman1942
2 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Not sure if you’re aware, but you’re asking a question on a 14-year-old post.  

Actually 14 years today.

I'm aware haha. You replied, so that means others can as well. Have yourself a great evening brother!

Thanks Blacksmith for responding! 

WWIIman1942, It has been a longtime since I had to mess with battle rosters, so I looked up the Army reg. If you look online, you will see different examples of battle rosters. The following is in the event of a casualty.  This is what I am used to seeing on the helmet.  Please note that this for modern service, if you are looking to reenact WWII, this was not done.

This is from "Instructions for completing DD Form 1380"

"Write first letter of casualty’s first name, then first letter of casualty’s last name, then write the last four numbers of casualty’s Social Security number. For example, John Doe 123-12-1234 is Battle Roster # “JD1234”."