Desert Storm Question

AndrewA74

Another trick to fill out a rucksack is to put an air matress in the rucksack, then blow up the air matress part way until the ruck is filled out to your satisfaction. This takes up less space when you are done t=with your display than wads of newspaper.

I also heard of this trick being used on 12-mile road marches with "full" rucksack. :rolleyes:

Steve

Another trick to fill out a rucksack is to put an air matress in the rucksack, then blow up the air matress part way until the ruck is filled out to your satisfaction. This takes up less space when you are done t=with your display than wads of newspaper.

I also heard of this trick being used on 12-mile road marches with "full" rucksack. :rolleyes:

Steve

To fill all my gear I use/ try using things that what have really been in that pack of era

To fill all my gear I use/ try using things that what have really been in that pack of era

Yeah, well, I do not have those sort of items.

Andrew

During Desert Storm, I was an Infantry Squad leader and I carried or wore the following items:

1st issue Desert Combat Unifirm (DCU) AKA Chocolate Chips

Tan Desert boots similar to Jungle boots without the ventilation and drain eyelets

PASGT Helmet with Chocolate chip cover and green camo band... last name in front in permanent marker, left side had first letter of last name with last four of the social security number right side had blood type, luminous "cat eyes" on back of camo band

When not in helmet, we had and wore chocolate chip boonie hats. at the time they did not have a chocolate chip patrol cap

Kevlar Fragmentation vest in woodland scheme with chocolate chip cover

M17a1 Protective mask on leg

M256 chemical detector kit

I had the LC-1 "H" suspenders and belt (belt had brass fittings, not plastic) On belt was two LC-2 Ammo pouches, two LC-2 Canteen covers with plastic canteens, First aid pouch on upper left shoulder of the harness, compass pouch on belt next to left ammo pouch, directly in front of the right Canteen was an AN/PRC-126 Squad Radio with handset attached to the left shoulder strap on the harness, on left hip in front of left canteen was the M9 Bayonet. Centered between the two canteens on the rear of the belt was the LC-1 M1967 nylon cargo pack (butt Pack)which carried cleaning kit for the M16, extra ammo and two days rations (MREs broken down into components inside the pack) and a VS-17 panel strapped to the bottom of the pack ( for visual friendly identification to coalition aircraft).

2 qt collapsible canteen in carrier with strap

Basic load of ammunition was 210 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition for the M16A2 rifle and:

Two six round bandoliers for the 40mm HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) grenades for the M203 40mm GRenade launcher.

As Stated earlier all patches and name tags were black embroidery on green od webbing, and black on green subdured unit patches.

I hope this helps. This set up was pretty much standard for squad leaders in the First Cavalry Division at the time.

During Desert Storm, I was an Infantry Squad leader and I carried or wore the following items:

1st issue Desert Combat Unifirm (DCU) AKA Chocolate Chips

Tan Desert boots similar to Jungle boots without the ventilation and drain eyelets

PASGT Helmet with Chocolate chip cover and green camo band... last name in front in permanent marker, left side had first letter of last name with last four of the social security number right side had blood type, luminous "cat eyes" on back of camo band

When not in helmet, we had and wore chocolate chip boonie hats. at the time they did not have a chocolate chip patrol cap

Kevlar Fragmentation vest in woodland scheme with chocolate chip cover

M17a1 Protective mask on leg

M256 chemical detector kit

I had the LC-1 "H" suspenders and belt (belt had brass fittings, not plastic) On belt was two LC-2 Ammo pouches, two LC-2 Canteen covers with plastic canteens, First aid pouch on upper left shoulder of the harness, compass pouch on belt next to left ammo pouch, directly in front of the right Canteen was an AN/PRC-126 Squad Radio with handset attached to the left shoulder strap on the harness, on left hip in front of left canteen was the M9 Bayonet. Centered between the two canteens on the rear of the belt was the LC-1 M1967 nylon cargo pack (butt Pack)which carried cleaning kit for the M16, extra ammo and two days rations (MREs broken down into components inside the pack) and a VS-17 panel strapped to the bottom of the pack ( for visual friendly identification to coalition aircraft).

2 qt collapsible canteen in carrier with strap

Basic load of ammunition was 210 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition for the M16A2 rifle and:

Two six round bandoliers for the 40mm HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) grenades for the M203 40mm GRenade launcher.

As Stated earlier all patches and name tags were black embroidery on green od webbing, and black on green subdured unit patches.

I hope this helps. This set up was pretty much standard for squad leaders in the First Cavalry Division at the time.

Thanks. So, how am I doing?

Andrew

Very nice impression!!! I forgot to mention that when I was in Desert Storm, we were Bradley Infantry, so our Rucksacks and Duffle Bags were strapped to the side of the vehicle. There are two Rucksacks, the LC-2 Medion, which as it says is a medium pack, with three outside pockets. The other is the large, which has three pockets lower on the pack, and several smaller pockets up higher. The large is almost always carried on a frame. In the large Rucksack would be loaded all the clothing and equipment you need to sustain yourself in the field... This will include but is not limited to:

Ammunition (You can wear a dirty uniform, but never have enough ammo)

Three sets of uniforms (or more if you have them)

six or more pair of sox and underwear

field jacket

Poncho

Rain suit

Shaving kit and toiletry items (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste etc)

more MREs

Shelter half, pin and poles (I folded mine around my sleeping bag to keep it somewhat dry in the rain... dont let any one fool you. It rains like crazy in the desert from time to time)

Sleeping bag (strapped to the top or bottom of the pack)

Tri fold Etool in plastic carrier

Other equipment as mission dictates

Chemical suit, gloves and boots

It looks like you are well on your way to getting your kit together!!! Keep up the hunt!!!

Oh... that little plastic box is the M256 Chemical detector kit. As in the pics posted here, there are several individual kits in that box that are used to dectect the presence of chemical agents. These kits are always used while in MOPP 4, or full chem gear. *remembers calling out colorless, colorless, blue many times!!!*

Wayne

Hey there, didn't want to start a new topic for this simple question,

How much is a Desert Storm medium Shirt and Pants set worth?

Thanks.

Hey there, didn't want to start a new topic for this simple question,

How much is a Desert Storm medium Shirt and Pants set worth?

Thanks.

I picked up a complete unmarked set for $10 - MS pants and jacket dated '91, no chocolate chips - from a vendor at an event. I think the eBay rate is closer to $15 each, give or take a few $$ for condition and any badges. Brand new ones only cost $30 each. The supply of that pattern is plentiful, particularly as troops migrate over to digital ACUs with nightvision sensitivities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I finnally got me a pair of good combat boots today!!!!! $15 was a steal. Heck, it was hard finding a 8 1/2 XW (Extra Wide). Well, I'm glad they serve a double purpose, with me being in CAP. Still have not got the pack cover stuffed. Those combat boots feel like HEAVEN. They are new old stock. Too bad they are in too good shape to wear out for daily use. I dressed today, tell me what y'all think! Thanks.

Andrew

w00t.gif

(No, I am not scratching, I'm pulling the pack cover away to see the gear LOL)

post-889-1219197576.jpg

post-889-1219197619.jpg

post-889-1219197675.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

I already have canteens, E-tool, bayo, ammo pouches, med kit, med pouch, pack cover, pack + frame, and supender + belt on the way. Also, how many Ammo pouches should I attach, and how do I attach the dangling hook on the gas mask case? Does it go on the belt? Another thing, what is LBE? Where do I get this stuff? I do think smokes are out of the question (me being 13). But I might have to pack some water bottles. Umm, do I need anything else with this? As soon as I get everything together, I an going to dress down again, and post pics to get y'all's opinion. Thanks.

Andrew

PS: What goes on the pack?

This is Matts friend, Tom. You're getting there. What I would like to know is what type of impression are you attempting to put together? Is it going to be USMC or Army and is it infantry, armor, or a support guy? The difference is the amount of gear you will need. As for the Alice pack...there are 2 types medium and large. I was in the 1st Cavalry Division and we were issued medium but the clothing sales had a sale on large rucks and I deployed with one of them. A lot of guys had them but some forgot to buy frames and just hung the ruck over the side of the track vehicle. Usuallly a 2 QT canteen was clipped to one side and a tri fold shovel (in green rubber case) to the other side. None of the equipment had the M1910 hangers everything had ALICE clips for attaching the gear to the belt or pack.

The little things...A 2 liter bottle of water is a wet green wool sock was common practice. We were given a case of 8 bottles to drink each day and lined up for another case the next morning. Marines didn't use camo bands on their helmets and names were only written on. We did not have blood type of roster numbers on the helmet althought the 24th ID had "V" on the sides of their helmets. Dust goggles (dated 1974) were the norm. As for the belt I had 2 canteens, a butt pack, suspenders, first aid pouch (some were worn on belt but the unit SOP was on the left shoulder), 2 ammo pouches, and I had a vietnam era cleaning pouch that I found at a flea market outside Ft Hood. The gas mask can be worn two ways: large strap strapped around the waist or over the right shoulder. Either way the bag was at or just below the left hip. When you're old enough the smokes were stored safely in the plastic decon kit on the mask case.

Oh, one more thing. DBDUs issued for deploying troops had another piece of the same material sewn into the back that cover the shoulders and extended half way down the back. The camo pattern faced to the wearers front. Pin on badges and rank were SOP per AR 670-1 (the uniform regulation for the Army) but some units like the 82nd Airborne Division had exceptions to the reg. We were issued green jungle boots and only the REMFs had the desert boots during the war. We got ours for the return trip home so that we looked good coming off the plane and marching in the victory parades.

Hope this helps. I have a lot of pics from my deployment send me an email [email protected] and I'll send a few wearing the gear.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom Flores

(then SGT) 1st Brigade0, 1st Cavalry Division

what about changing this posts name to desert storm gear?

than we can post gear pics and questions about desert storm.

im also thinking about making a group that reenact desert storm

and other cold war stories about us army and us marines B)

cheers from ken

desert1.jpg

desert6.jpg

This is Matts friend, Tom. You're getting there. What I would like to know is what type of impression are you attempting to put together? Is it going to be USMC or Army and is it infantry, armor, or a support guy? The difference is the amount of gear you will need. As for the Alice pack...there are 2 types medium and large. I was in the 1st Cavalry Division and we were issued medium but the clothing sales had a sale on large rucks and I deployed with one of them. A lot of guys had them but some forgot to buy frames and just hung the ruck over the side of the track vehicle. Usuallly a 2 QT canteen was clipped to one side and a tri fold shovel (in green rubber case) to the other side. None of the equipment had the M1910 hangers everything had ALICE clips for attaching the gear to the belt or pack.

The little things...A 2 liter bottle of water is a wet green wool sock was common practice. We were given a case of 8 bottles to drink each day and lined up for another case the next morning. Marines didn't use camo bands on their helmets and names were only written on. We did not have blood type of roster numbers on the helmet althought the 24th ID had "V" on the sides of their helmets. Dust goggles (dated 1974) were the norm. As for the belt I had 2 canteens, a butt pack, suspenders, first aid pouch (some were worn on belt but the unit SOP was on the left shoulder), 2 ammo pouches, and I had a vietnam era cleaning pouch that I found at a flea market outside Ft Hood. The gas mask can be worn two ways: large strap strapped around the waist or over the right shoulder. Either way the bag was at or just below the left hip. When you're old enough the smokes were stored safely in the plastic decon kit on the mask case.

Oh, one more thing. DBDUs issued for deploying troops had another piece of the same material sewn into the back that cover the shoulders and extended half way down the back. The camo pattern faced to the wearers front. Pin on badges and rank were SOP per AR 670-1 (the uniform regulation for the Army) but some units like the 82nd Airborne Division had exceptions to the reg. We were issued green jungle boots and only the REMFs had the desert boots during the war. We got ours for the return trip home so that we looked good coming off the plane and marching in the victory parades.

Hope this helps. I have a lot of pics from my deployment send me an email [email protected] and I'll send a few wearing the gear.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom Flores

(then SGT) 1st Brigade0, 1st Cavalry Division

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to be infantry, and I'm looking to get a different shirt (the one I use now is Engineer) US ARMY. I have the Large Ruck by the way. Are the boots rght?

Andrew

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to be infantry, and I'm looking to get a different shirt (the one I use now is Engineer) US ARMY. I have the Large Ruck by the way. Are the boots rght?

Andrew

Andrew

They should be the OD Green jungle boots

Black ones weren't issued until after DS

Oh... that little plastic box is the M256 Chemical detector kit. As in the pics posted here, there are several individual kits in that box that are used to dectect the presence of chemical agents. These kits are always used while in MOPP 4, or full chem gear. *remembers calling out colorless, colorless, blue many times!!!*

Wayne

Warning--if you get a real M256 kit, the fumes produces from an individual kit in use are hazardrous. Chances are, any kit you find will probably be practice ones and it would be safe to pop a kit if your curious. The kit will say if it is practice or not.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I got my PASGT vest a couple of days ago, and I have attached the cover (What a pain!). I am wearing my Desert Storm gear tonight...Halloween.

Andrew

Now I know how my Dad felt when I got into WW2 re-enacting. I wasn't in Desert Storm (I was old enough to have gone, though) but I recall the era very well. It seems so odd to me that people put together impressions for that era!

desert6.jpg
Good photo, but if you're at MOPP3, you should have the overshoes on (the lace-up ones). You normally wouldn't be wearing the mask without the overshoes, and certainly not without the early (OD green) MOPP suit, also sometimes called a CBR suit back then.

When I was a Army ROTC cadet in 1998, we trained in MOPP suits and other than using the newer M-40 mask, all our stuff was Desert Storm era. We used the lace-up boots and early one color MOPP suits.

• 2 weeks later...
I am doing a specific impression of someone that was one of the first guys in. The patch on the shirt is US Army Engineers. Got a pic of those rags? I found 2 tan rags, they might be those rags? Thanks.

Andrew

Andrew,

I finally ran across the box with some of my Desert Storm stuff in it. The cloth that we were issued is the same color as the t-shirt. It was approximately 10 inches by 36 inches. I can measure it for more exact dimensions if you like. There is a stamp on it that gives the proper name for it, but it is pretty washed out. I thought it was something like "scarf, wind and dust", but I can't find anything on-line that is similar.

Andrew

They should be the OD Green jungle boots

Black ones weren't issued until after DS

We deployed with black leather boots.. Anyone with jungle boots had private purchased them. We could buy desert, green, or black.. I had a pair of green and a pair of black.. I rarely wore my leather boots.. This was with the 101st MI Bn.i got issued desert boots when we came home and got a nice set at the PX when they went on sale..Most jungle boots were private purchase unless you were in a tropical zone then..

Fins.

Andrew,

I finally ran across the box with some of my Desert Storm stuff in it. The cloth that we were issued is the same color as the t-shirt. It was approximately 10 inches by 36 inches. I can measure it for more exact dimensions if you like. There is a stamp on it that gives the proper name for it, but it is pretty washed out. I thought it was something like "scarf, wind and dust", but I can't find anything on-line that is similar.

I have what I think is this scarf, only mine is unused, and in mint condition except for wrinkles. Printed on it in black ink is the following:

NECKERCHIEF MAN'S, COTTON, KNITTED

8440-01-148-4549

DLA100-90-F-E609

100% COTTON - WASHABLE

DVI INDUSTRIES FOR THE BLIND

To the right of the 8440-01-148-4549 anbd DLA number is a large 08 printed in a different font and stamped on separately as it is a little bit slanted.

I can get pics if you need them.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I have what I think is this scarf, only mine is unused, and in mint condition except for wrinkles. Printed on it in black ink is the following:

NECKERCHIEF MAN'S, COTTON, KNITTED

8440-01-148-4549

DLA100-90-F-E609

100% COTTON - WASHABLE

DVI INDUSTRIES FOR THE BLIND

To the right of the 8440-01-148-4549 anbd DLA number is a large 08 printed in a different font and stamped on separately as it is a little bit slanted.

I can get pics if you need them.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks guys. I was wondering if the cloth had any stamp, did they issue similar unmarked ones in WWII?

Andrew

Interesting. It looks like they replaced the 36" scarf with a 72" scarf. So Andrew, it looks like you will be able to take your choice on this one.

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:xcfz7W...;cd=8&gl=us

New Brown Cotton Neckerchief, NSN 8440-01-148-4549, is also stocked at the VPVA. This new item is 72 inches long and replaces the 36 inch long brown neckerchief, NSN 8440-01-103-5981, which is no longer available.

We deployed with black leather boots.. Anyone with jungle boots had private purchased them. We could buy desert, green, or black.. I had a pair of green and a pair of black.. I rarely wore my leather boots.. This was with the 101st MI Bn.i got issued desert boots when we came home and got a nice set at the PX when they went on sale..Most jungle boots were private purchase unless you were in a tropical zone then..

Fins.

While I had purchased a pair of jungle boots before the war, the Soldiers in the 1st Cavalry Division were issued 2 pair of jungle boots before deploying from Ft Hood.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
We usually wore two ,( but I imagine it would depend on the misson , I have seen some guys with up to six , but you start runnig out of room for canteens then .

If you won't have an M16 ( Airsoft?) you can just pack the pouches with hunks of wood or newspaper to fill them out till you find the clips, ( you can't see the mags when they are shut ) but put something in them to fill them out.

Alot of us tied the mask carrier to our belts , and didn't put the straps around our legs , but it was against regs.

and don't forget the goggles.

John

hello, theres a person on ebay who is selling m16 mags for 10-15 bucks a mag. i'll get you the link if you want it, let me know.