Desert Storm Question

AndrewA74

Hello,

I'm trying to get together a set of Desert storm stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what a typical enlisted guy would have worn? Here is what I have:

Shirt

Trousers

PASGT Vest (only vest, no armor plates)

Kevlar

Kevlar cover

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

(Minus the gun)

post-889-1214538492.jpg

post-889-1214538579.jpg

Hello,

I'm trying to get together a set of Desert storm stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what a typical enlisted guy would have worn? Here is what I have:

Shirt

Trousers

PASGT Vest (only vest, no armor plates)

Kevlar

Kevlar cover

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

(Minus the gun)

Andrew

You are very close. The boots would have been the old black jungle boots or the desert boot that came out at the time. Both are correct. Patches and insignia would be green and black as the desert camo patch did not come out yet. You also need the boonie hat or the DCU cap. The equipment is the standard LCII load bearing equipment.

Nice job

Bob

Nice impression.

The standard green helmet band woud be worn also. You would have your name on the front written in magic marker or embroidered. Also, IIRC, you would have a combat roster number on one side and your blood type on the other. Others on the forum can correct me on these details, but I think I am correct.

Andrew

You are very close. The boots would have been the old black jungle boots or the desert boot that came out at the time. Both are correct. Patches and insignia would be green and black as the desert camo patch did not come out yet. You also need the boonie hat or the DCU cap. The equipment is the standard LCII load bearing equipment.

Nice job

Bob

Hey,

Thanks for the info guys! The shirt has all the patches on it, but what is the LCII load bearing equipment?

Andrew

ALICE webbing.

Dont forget a gas mask bag!

Hey,

Thanks. Where would I attach the gas mask + bag?

Andrew

Hey,

Thanks for the info guys! The shirt has all the patches on it, but what is the LCII load bearing equipment?

Andrew

The LC-1 and LC-2 equipment is in explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-purpose_L...rying_Equipment

lc2belt.jpglc2sus.jpg

Send me a PM with your waist size and I may have one of the belt and suspenders sets that will fit you.

The LC-1 and LC-2 equipment is in explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-purpose_L...rying_Equipment

post-214-1214628203.jpgpost-214-1214628214.jpg

Send me a PM with your waist size and I may have one of the belt and suspenders sets that will fit you.

Thanks. I will have to put out a wanted alert for some stuff now. Oh yeah, here is my goal to look like. I want to look like the guy on the far right.

Andrew

post-889-1214681219.jpg

Thanks. I will have to put out a wanted alert for some stuff now. Oh yeah, here is my goal to look like. I want to look like the guy on the far right.

Andrew

Here's what I believe is the basic LC-2 rig with belt, suspenders, canteen and an ammo pouch:

lc2.jpg

lc2left.jpg

lc2right.jpg

lc2back.jpg

You can download a poster-sized version of the Marines in Desert Storm: http://tinyurl.com/48t3zu - on the computer screen you can really enlarge it to see the details. Notice the gas mask bag on the left hips:

stormmarine3.jpg

stormmarine.jpg

stormmarine1.jpg

stormmarine2.jpg

We wore two ammo pouches in front , a feild dressing on the left shoulder strap , and two canteens on the back in the desert, and I carried an additional collapsable bladder water bag with a sling. and a poncho crammed in the right pants leg pocket ( a total pain ) gasmask on the left hip.

and (as was stated) green Jungle boots

John

Don't forget the 100 mile an hour tape! OD in color, it was used to tape down the adjustment straps on the LBE and the chinstrap on the helmet.

Don't forget the 100 mile an hour tape! OD in color, it was used to tape down the adjustment straps on the LBE and the chinstrap on the helmet.

I find black electrician's tape was also popular for that on much of the old Marine stuff from here in the Camp Pendleton area.

OK, so here is what is on the belt:

1 canteen

2 ammo pouches

1 shovel

1 personal First aid kit (?)

1 holster with pistol

Am I correct, or what am I missing? Thanks.

Andrew

OK, so here is what is on the belt:

1 canteen

2 ammo pouches

1 shovel

1 personal First aid kit (?)

1 holster with pistol

Am I correct, or what am I missing? Thanks.

Andrew

We never wore the E tool carrier on the belt , just on the pack , and pretty much only officers wore a pistol.

We never wore the E tool carrier on the belt , just on the pack , and pretty much only officers wore a pistol.

How would I attach it to the pack? Did I miss anything?

Andrew

e tool carrier has wire hooks that you can put on the holes on the Alice pack.

and I would look for another canteen if its cheep , we always had at least 2 , and most had the big 2 liter square bags too, staying hydrated in the desert is important.

I wouldn't worry about the pack stuff ( pack , shovel and cover ) if I were you , just get the basic stuff , and the pack items when they present them selves .

and yes on the 100 mph tape , we usually used the ugly bright green , it looked stupid but we did it .

and everyone wanted a pistol , but I only ever saw a few guys wearing them besides officers.

And don't forget to stash a couple extra saudi provided commercial/disposable water bottles in your gear---heck, I wouldn't get out of my vehicle without a bottle---and the water tasted better than the stuff from my canteen...might want to mix in a few packs of smokes also---seems like everybody in the theater smoked ...even those Air Force guys who hung out around Ad Dammam....(AAFES encouraged this with their $2.00 for a carton prices)...

e tool carrier has wire hooks that you can put on the holes on the Alice pack.

and I would look for another canteen if its cheep , we always had at least 2 , and most had the big 2 liter square bags too, staying hydrated in the desert is important.

I wouldn't worry about the pack stuff ( pack , shovel and cover ) if I were you , just get the basic stuff , and the pack items when they present them selves .

and yes on the 100 mph tape , we usually used the ugly bright green , it looked stupid but we did it .

and everyone wanted a pistol , but I only ever saw a few guys wearing them besides officers.

Hey,

I allready have canteens, E-tool, bayo, ammo pouches, med kit, med pouch, pack cover, pack + frame, and supender + belt on the way. Also, how many Ammo pouches should I attach, and how do I attach the dangling hook on the gas mask case? Does it go on the belt? Another thing, what is LBE? Where do I get this stuff? I do think smokes are out of the question (me being 13). But I might have to pack some water bottles. Umm, do I need anything else with this? As soon as I get everything together, I an going to dress down again, and post pics to get y'all's opinion. Thanks.

Andrew

PS: What goes on the pack?

Hey,

I allready have canteens, E-tool, bayo, ammo pouches, med kit, med pouch, pack cover, pack + frame, and supender + belt on the way. Also, how many Ammo pouches should I attach, and how do I attach the dangling hook on the gas mask case? Does it go on the belt? Another thing, what is LBE? Where do I get this stuff? I do think smokes are out of the question (me being 13). But I might have to pack some water bottles. Umm, do I need anything else with this? As soon as I get everything together, I an going to dress down again, and post pics to get y'all's opinion. Thanks.

Andrew

PS: What goes on the pack?

Andrew,

On the pro mask, the wider strap goes around your waist worn under the LBE. The thinner strap goes around your leg. You could also clip the snaps of the carrier onto your belt. It made it easier to carry the mask, but you always had to wear your LBE when you were required to carry the mask.

Andrew,

On the pro mask, the wider strap goes around your waist worn under the LBE. The thinner strap goes around your leg. You could also clip the snaps of the carrier onto your belt. It made it easier to carry the mask, but you always had to wear your LBE when you were required to carry the mask.

Is LBE the belt? I'm glad I found that pack today. Otherwise, I would have been lost. :blink:

Thanks again.

Andrew

Is LBE the belt? I'm glad I found that pack today. Otherwise, I would have been lost. :blink:

Thanks again.

Andrew

Andrew,

The LBE is the generic term for the harness, pistol belt, ammo pouches, etc. when it is all assembled. It is used as a noun, such as in the sentence "You need to wear your LBE."

Andrew,

The LBE is the generic term for the harness, pistol belt, ammo pouches, etc. when it is all assembled. It is used as a noun, such as in the sentence "You need to wear your LBE."

Thanks. I think the most expensive part of this thing is going to be the M-16 clips. ermm.gif . How many ammo pouches should I attach?

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks. I think the most expensive part of this thing is going to be the M-16 clips. ermm.gif . How many ammo pouches should I attach?

Thanks,

Andrew

We usually wore two ,( but I imagine it would depend on the misson , I have seen some guys with up to six , but you start runnig out of room for canteens then .

If you won't have an M16 ( Airsoft?) you can just pack the pouches with hunks of wood or newspaper to fill them out till you find the clips, ( you can't see the mags when they are shut ) but put something in them to fill them out.

Alot of us tied the mask carrier to our belts , and didn't put the straps around our legs , but it was against regs.

and don't forget the goggles.

John