I need help with an ID on this Aiguillette. Its NS Meyer made

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

I found this aiguillette in the original issue box from NS Meyer and I was hoping that someone could tell me what it is and is for. Looks life the type worn on the 1904 enlisted uniform, but the box seems much newer. Any help welcome.

Pic 1

post-6492-0-47348600-1412133559.jpg

There was one just like it on ebay, called, " Indian Wars or Spanish American War era U.S. Cavalry yellow Aiguillette"

The IW era cords draped over the dress helmet and on down to the shoulder loops and chest. This is not that long, for sure. Some were made then in two pieces so the helmet could be detached.

The later cords only draped across the chest and under one arm. This is still too short for that.

I am not sure when Myer got into the business, but I am thinking the box is much later. It could also have been a simple cord worn across a bandsman's uniform -- shoulder loop button to shoulder loop button.

What is the material? If a synthetic as opposed to wool, it is definitely later.

G

From p.191 of the Dec 1944 National Geographic "Insignia and Decorations of the U.S. Armed Services," if this helps.

post-133376-0-76763300-1412264886.jpg

Close up:

The one out of the case/box seems a bit incomplete to be the Army Dress Blues Cavalry Branch Aiguillete, it lacks a braided cord.

post-3982-1326577498.jpg

Pointedcuffs

I have not seen anything like this. Gil has a good guess with a bugle cord. My guess would be a cord for some type of band shako or part of a Michael Jackson outfit. The box reads N.S. Meyer Inc. I believe the "inc." part was not used until 1920 or so. Can anyone verify?

Well, I was guessing, to be truthful. Given the length.color, etc., it seems likely. What I do not know is hos standardized bugle cords were. Were they made to Army Specs, purchased on the open market, or what? If this was some sort of hat cord, it would more likely be for some sort of band shako style, and not Army regulation. Certinly Meyer provided material for such use also.

G

• 3 months later...