Some Real CW Insignia for a Change

I went to auction with a friend Sunday and he picked this up along with a nice pair of epaulettes for 2nd LT. I thought you would like o see what a $15 cracker tin had in it.The man was with the 16th N.Y. State Vol. Regt. from 1861 till 1863 then mustered out and moved to Kankakee, IL. died in 1919 and is buried there. He started as a Sgt. ending up as a Capt.This came from his great grandsons auction.

post-629-0-90884600-1412124445.jpg

post-629-0-79809000-1412124469.jpg

post-629-0-32057100-1412124479.jpg

post-629-0-60888900-1412124600.jpg

Thanks patches, already been there.

Yes sir, one would think a collector like you would throughly research something like this. Or did you mean you "already been to New York where the 16th NY was formed :lol: Anyways I like to do this posting of links for the others, you know, as a public service :lol:

That oval that's an insignia for the turn up of a Hardee hat correct?

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

patches,

All ready did the research. I ment that is one of the sites I used. Yes, hat badge for Hardee.

Terry

Very nice pieces. Have you done much research on the man? What is his name?

Dick

Capt. Charles M. Hilliker, Company I, 16th New York State Volunteer Infantry

Done a lot of research, am going to get pictures of his grave soon. Most of the items are in packets that has writing on about the item in his own hand. He did it around 1910 and died in 1919.

Terry

My buddy came over today and we mounted the envelopes in archival plastic and put everything into displays with typed translations of the writing . Really looks nice.