Islamic State Fight Could Breathe New Life Into the A-10

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,

Well I received this email from Military.com today,and it is welcome news.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Months after staving off a trip to the boneyard, the embattled A-10 Thunderbolt II is headed to the Middle East where it could be used to fight Islamic militants in Iraq and Syria.
An Indiana Air National Guard unit that flies the Cold War-era gunships, known as Warthogs, is planning to deploy about 300 airmen and an unknown number of its aircraft to the U.S. Central Command region early next month, says a Sept. 17 news release from the unit.
The 122nd Fighter Wing, located at Fort Wayne Air National Guard Base, Ind., has 21 aircraft, though it’s uncertain how many will be deploying, a spokesman said Thursday.

The Air National Guard release doesn’t mention where the group is headed or for what purpose.

Here is a link to the full article

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/09/27/islamic-state-fight-could-breathe-new-life-into-the-a10.html?ESRC=airforce.nl

I hope the A-10 gets another shot at proving its value as a close air support platform that is unmatched my any other airframe in the inventory.

Kyle

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

i remember once when i was doing some training at lost-in-the-woods(oops ft.l.wood) when i heard one of those birds open up on a range.loudest buzz saw i ever heard.

The Hog is the correct aircraft for this kind of war. The USAF who doens't listen to me ever, should not retire this weapons system.

Patchcollector

That gun was designed for light armoured vehicles. Imagine the effect on a Toyota pickup... :P

Yes indeed...

This is the last thing an insurgent would ever see in his rear view mirror..... :)

post-13386-0-66965300-1412519220.jpg

That gun was designed for light armoured vehicles. Imagine the effect on a Toyota pickup... :P

Actually that gun with it's depleted uranium shells was designed to kill tanks, not just light armor vehicles.

Patchcollector

Actually that gun with it's depleted uranium shells was designed to kill tanks, not just light armor vehicles.

And just think;there would be no need to use the expensive ammo on the pickups,one could bag alot of bad guys at a bargain rate :lol:

The US Air Force lives under the delusion that they will eventually get out of the Close Air Support business. They try like hell, but something always presents itself...

I live close enough to Ft. Wayne that I see these brutes fly often . You can always tell them from everything else in the sky.

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

Some "new" news my friends,and it looks like GOOD news for the WartHog!

Sen. John McCain vows to save A-10 attack jet

PHOENIX – Sen. John McCain says the Air Force won't be able to retire the A-10 Warthog ground attack jet now that he's in line to become

chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
McCain said Thursday the A-10 is the best close-air support aircraft ever made and there is "no doubt" Congress will prevent its retirement.

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson has 80 of the twin-jet planes and trains A-10 pilots.
McCain says there's no replacement for the jet's close-air support mission and pointed to a June friendly fire in Afghanistan where a B-1 bomber mistakenly targeted American troops, killing five.
The Air Force announced plans earlier this year to retire the jet as a cost-savings measure, but Congress blocked it for a year in June's defense spending bill.

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/11/07/sen-john-mccain-vows-to-save-a10-from-retirement.html?ESRC=airforce.nl

• 9 years later...