Seal Delivery Vehicle Patch

one50

I got 2 of these cool patches today along with a HALO Parachute from Seal team 4.

To make a long story short, I sold one of my collector cars to a Navy diver in Virginia Beach area. I told him to give me a patch of his unit and any thing else he could drum up.

He picked up the car handed me some cash and these patches and a HALO chute saying it was used by Seal team 4 which he works with.

Pretty cool stuff.

I have never seen this patch before, i assume it fairly obscure? How many Seal Delivery Vehicle teams are out there?

Enjoy.

Dan

post-939-0-49212100-1411951088.jpg

In the 80's there were an east and west coast SDV team. The history is pretty interesting. Readily available via Google. But in short these were guys that delivered the guys then went back in and picked them up

These guys are still around they do the submersible stuff from the NSW website:

SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams

There are two SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams (SDVT-1 and SDVT-2) under operational and administrative control of NSWG-3. Each is commanded by a Navy Commander (O-5), and supports NSW undersea mobility operations worldwide. The SDV Teams employ and maintain SEAL Delivery Vehicles (SDV), Dry Deck Shelters (DDS) and the Advanced SEAL Delivery System (ASDS).

SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE

SDVT-1 is based in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. It is commanded by a Navy Commander (O-5). SDVT-1 operates and maintains the only Advanced SEAL Delivery System (ASDS), three SEAL Delivery Vehicles (SDV), Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) Task Units, and a headquarters element. SDVT-1 conducts NSW undersea operations throughout the Pacific and Middle East geographic areas of responsibility.

SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team TWO

SDVT-2 is based at Little Creek, VA. Commanded by a Navy Commander (O-5), it has three operational SDV/DDS Task Units and a headquarters element. SDVT-2 conducts NSW undersea operations throughout the Europe and Middle East geographic areas of responsibility. SDVT-2 places special emphasis on providing the 2nd and 6th Fleet Commanders with an SDV/DDS capability.

SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team Task Units

An SDV Task Unit (SDVTU) is formed to plan, coordinate, and command real-world SEAL Delivery Vehicle operations launched from specially configured submarines equipped with Dry Deck Shelters. The Commanding Officer of SDVT-1 or SDVT-2 (or his Executive Officer) is in charge of the SDVTU, which consists of one or more SDV or SEAL Platoons.

Special Boat Teams

NSW has three Special Boat Teams: SBT-12 in Coronado, CA; SBT-20 in Little Creek, VA, and SBT-22 in Stennis, MI. SBTs are commanded by a Navy Commander (O-5) who leads Special Warfare Combatant-Craft (SWCC) personnel. SBTs’ mission is to employ, operate and maintain multiple specialized, low-profile, high-performance surface combatant craft. They clandestinely infiltrate and exfiltrate Navy SEALs on-target in denied areas, and provide small-caliber gunfire support when required. SBTs conduct naval and joint special operations, riverine warfare, and Coastal Patrol and Interdiction of ships and other surface craft.

Did this become the Special Warfare Combatant-Craft (SWCC) units?

The SDV is the unit or vehicle you see launched from the backs of submarines underwater to perform infiltrations and special missions from what I understand.

Dan,

Your patch is right as rain. You have the 2nd style which has been around for awhile. Here is the 1st style, which by the way was also sold by Tom Clinton back in the day, The Team got the patches made thru Tom. Also is period hat from the late 80s -90s.

post-10493-0-66189000-1412293231.jpg

Dan,

Your patch is right as rain. You have the 2nd style which has been around for awhile. Here is the 1st style, which by the way was also sold by Tom Clinton back in the day, The Team got the patches made thru Tom. Also is period hat from the late 80s -90s.

Skir

Great info

So the second patch as shown in the topic by the poster is a computor made patch and having the merrowed edge is a Team issued/used patch?

Not sure I still have one from Kent Spaulding.Will have to look.

Thanks

RD

Skir

Great info

So the second patch as shown in the topic by the poster is a computor made patch and having the merrowed edge is a Team issued/used patch?

Not sure I still have one from Kent Spaulding.Will have to look.

Thanks

RD

Ron,

Correct, Have seen them at the MAA. The type one cut edge is also computer made (shown with the hat). At the time there was also a UDT 22 patch made the same as type one. UDT22 was gone by the late 80s but the UDT22 was made as a legacy patch. UDT22 became SDVT2 in 1983.

Patches with most teams were not a big deal back then, even in Vietnam, It was T-shirts and hats. That trend has changed with OIF/OEF.

Another trend that was big back then but not seen anymore are lighters. Guys on the Teams don't smoke like the old Frogs did.

Here is a seldom seen item these days from SDVT2

post-10493-0-55006300-1412375938.jpg