WWII Type A Flying Cap - Please Help?

anton67

Hello,

I have been offered this flying cap from a guy who tells me it was his father's helmet.

His father was a radio operator in a bomber during WWII.

He wants $300 for it.

Does it look authentic?

Also what is a ball park figure as to what they go for?

Thank you in advance

post-63438-0-76187400-1411930721.jpg

post-63438-0-41228600-1411930728.jpg

post-63438-0-85219200-1411930735.jpg

I agree that an A-11 with electronics is maybe $200. There were so many A-11s made and there were so many sold as surplus after the war that they can be found in nearly new condition for not very much money. As to this helmet, if the seller can provide details of where his father was stationed; perhaps the aircraft he flew on and maybe a photo of the helmet being worn, I think the $300 would be justified with the provenance. This would be a combat flown, documented A-11 and it might be possible to place this helmet in some historical context. If you are looking for an example of the A-11, you can spend a lot less and get an authentic helmet. If you are a re-enactor, you should probably pick up a surplus unit off Ebay as it will be cleaner and a lot less expensive. This helmet, if authenticated would have value beyond an A-11. Just my two cents worth....

You can still find them with mask and goggles at times for the asking price listed.I have even gotten them for a lot less over the yearsThe tie to the vet is nice but not that nice.

A11s are very abundant.Large or Xlarge sizes are desirable and may get a unusually higher price(at times) but they are a common helmet in general.

Hello

You can find them at affordable prices on ebay really often. I bought both of mine there for less than $120 each.

They are really easy to find and show up every weeks. If you are not in a hurry you will find it in a better size for a lot less money. Just my 2 cents.

Julien

Well now to add to this issue, I got a response from the seller today.

He said:

"My father was in the 389th Bomb Group of the Eighth U.S. Air Force at Hethel Air Base in England. He was a radio operator on a B-24 bomber nicknamed "Unstable Mable." I actually do have a picture of the entire crew, my father with the helmet on--just need to dig it out. I also have his diary, which describes his engagement in combat."

I spoke to him again.

I believe he is saying that he would give me the original photo and a copy of his father's diary.

I am trying to clarify that with him now.

He may even offer me the original diary.

Now I really don't know how much to offer him if he includes that.

The other problem is it is not like his father's name is in the helmet so not really easy to link it up.

I am sure it looks like any other Type A cap in any other WWII pilot photo.

True... I mean you have to offer what you feel comfortable with. Maybe that's the going value of the helmet plus photo and maybe a hair more since you know where it's coming from.

The photo and you knowing where it came from is still provenance IMO.

-Brian

Thanks Brian.

I decided to tentatively offer him $300 valuing the group as the sum of its parts.\

The caveat is that I told him that I need more info on the diary and its content.

Here is how I came up with the figure:

I valued the original diary at around $100 (depending on its content so this is a ball park figure);
I valued the original photo at around $25;
And I valued the helmet at around $150.
I will update you if I get the grouping.
Thank you for your input