M1938 tanker helmet in Sweden

kai robert

This helmet was sold today for aprox. 500$, i´m not sure if that´s too much but the best part of the story is that the seller only gave 20$ recently in a shop here in Sweden, apperently the didn´t know what they had.

It´s a Wilson helmet in size 7 3/8.

post-9415-0-68136800-1411922835.jpg

It is a larger size but these are still found for $250 here in the US and many times dont sell.

There have been many found over the years.George Petersen found a huge hoard in India several years ago and still had smaller one for sale a year or so ago for $150 that were in mostly unissued condition in smaller sizes..

Im sure the large size and "Fury" movie coming out soon, helped drive the price so high, good for the seller and im sure the buyer is quite happy to have a nice large size great M38 Tanker example for their collection too!....mike

I´m not sure why the price went up that high, my bid was 150 but there was 5 different bidder after that, very unusual for being here in Sweden.

That's a tidy profit. However, any time I "score" a piece at super cheap, 1960s-era surplus prices, I can never let it go! I always tell myself "I'll never replace it for that price again"!! I have found dozens of auction & thrift store items over the last 20 years or so, for prices that would make some people cry...I still have every single one of them!! However, if I am buying from an individual, I always make a fair offer. If it is the veterans widow, they usually thank me for being honest & give it to me for the original low price anyway!!

student of history

Perhaps in the right venue the helmet would be/is worth $500 to someone but based on my experience, these can still be had on a semi-regular basis for around half that price.