Elk River IX 501

Bearmon

This patch is from the ELK River IX 501, the ex LMSR 501 USS Elk River

This is from the time frame when the ship was the "mother ship" for the Sea Lab experiments in the late 1960's and beyond. The Sea Lab was tied to the Elk River with an umbilical cord that carried power and oxygen to the underwater lab.

post-582-0-96587100-1411759529.jpg

Now thats a neat insignia thanks for posting it.PS is it amazing that with out a Mother nothing gets done.Scotty

I just picked up mine at the ASMIC Show in San Diego to go along with my two Sea Lab patches I had in my collection. It would appear based on construction that the USS Elk River patch was made by the same manufacture as the Sea Lab II patch.

post-1389-0-43411200-1411765161.jpg

post-1389-0-55306300-1411765175.jpg

Patchcollector

I just picked up mine at the ASMIC Show in San Diego to go along with my two Sea Lab patches I had in my collection. It would appear based on construction that the USS Elk River patch was made by the same manufacture as the Sea Lab II patch.

Great group!I like those,thanks for posting them

• 1 year later...

Coming late to this thread but would like to add the Elk River was not a commisioned ship, so did not have U.S.S. if front of her name. The IX stood for "miscellaneous unclassified".

Bill Scott

Rimozake where else but on the forum can you find out great TID -BITS of info like in your post.Thanks Scotty