really need some expertise on m38 tank helmets

Bluespicker

Hello all,

I am researching the conversion of m38 tank helmets for use in jet aircraft. I think there are more of these out there than anyone may think. I need some serious help from the experts!!

1- is there a reference book on the tank helmets?

2- anyone have diagrams or parts breakdowns for these helmets?

3- would these helmets be painted by the tankers?

4- anyone have a tank helmet with some mysterious holes?

5- did the m38 ever get used for anything else? Football? Anyone have photos of these helmets in use in football?

Have a ton of questions but this should do for now. Really could use the help!

Thanks

Hi,

Here's some part breakdowns but you'll need to search for a list. I'm sure they're out there

2_Helmet_Patent_Side300x300.jpg

3_Helmet_Patent_Back300x300.jpg

As far as I know there's no book about them, but the crash helmet is discussed in the GI collector's guide. And yes, in some cases they were painted by tankers.

The m-38 was manufactured by companies that made all kinds of sportswear but to my knowledge they were only used by tankers as they were designed for just them.

Motorcyclists also used them.

There is a nice photo of a 3rd Armored Division soldier on a Harley wearing one.

Some had a (nick)name painted on, a patch, some were even painted in a white wash.

Sometimes the two "antennas" were taken off.

Some main manufacturers; Sears Saddlery, AG Spalding Bros, Wilson Athletic Goods, Rawlings.

Usually if it has mysterious holes as you say, it could mean that it is not a US tank helmet, but usually a Belgian knockoff.

These types also differ in the ear flaps as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Erwin

Bluespicker.

To answer your questions:

1. There is no book on US tanker helmets, I started writing one but never finished. You can check out "Painted Steel" by Chris Armold, it has a chapter I wrote on tanker helmets.

2. Do a Google search for U.S. Tank Helmet Patent and you will get the original Rawlings Patent which has all the parts listed.

3. Tanker helmets were often painted by the owner but they are very rare now. Ranks, names, vehicle numbers, Division decals were the normal painted items. Normally, as Erwin pointed out, the only overall paint job was either a white-ish winter camo (most often seen on tank destroyer helmets) or red or blue used by range instructors etc.

4. The only 'holes' I have seen on tanker helmets is where the tension arms (antennae) or the dorsal strap have been removed. This is normally a sign that the helmet has been stripped for post-war use as a kids football helmet.

5. Yes, these helmets were used after the war for other purposes. Many were sold surplus to youth football teams, I have an example myself, others were converted for use as USAF flight helmets circa 1946-1949. I do not have any but I have seen photos of the M-38's being used as football helemts and pilots helmets as well as coal miner's helmets.

The Army ceased production of this helmet in 1944 and after the war many were sold surplus or went with armored vehicles that were given as miltary assistance to countries around the world. By the beginning of the Korean War the were less than 4,000 left in inventory and many armored vehicles left for Europe and Asia equiped with the M4A2 Flak Helmet.

Remember that the tank helmet was not issued to the individual soldier but rather to the vehicle itself as part of it's TO&E. It is much rarer to find a WWII or Korea combat used tank helmet than it is to find an un-issued one.

Larry

Thanks for the information. I have been researching these helmets as used in jet aircraft and I have number of variations mostly in the earflaps themselves. The two examples I have found are blue and one is a light blue which seems a bit odd. These could all be youth football helmets though.

Does anyone have a tank helmet that have the "plates" removed from the flap and perhaps a larger hole?

I have the patent drawings which I am trying to use to make drawings of the variations I have encountered...