WW2 Army Nurse Corp. Find

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Army Nurse Corp. 2nd. Lt. Shirley Sinow's Jewish Holy Scriptures and her duffle bag. Also know as Shirley Sinow Bradford after she got married and settled in Dallas. Nothing else in the house that we could find related to her service. If anyone can help with researching her, I am very grateful. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-37360500-1411682511.jpg

post-12790-0-62690100-1411682528.jpg

post-12790-0-63649600-1411682560.jpg

post-12790-0-48276400-1411682582.jpg

Ancestry has her returning to CONUS 19 July 1945 aboard the RMS Aquitania.

another site (unverified) has departure Le Havre, France

with 99th and 130th General Hospital and 828th Medical Convalescent Center

also from Ancestry:

born about 1923, lived in New Haven Connecticut in 1930 and 1940 census

father Morris Sinow born in Russia about 1888

mother Della, born Connecticut about 1900, married about 1920, previously married to ____ Rogers

no record in Dallas as Shirley Bradford - unless you have her husband's first or full name

do you have a date of death to check for obits?

-------------

check for an old pm from me

Hello B&B. I could not find an obit. No results on Gravefinder either. Could be my lack of Internet searching skills. I checked the house address where the estate sale was held against the county tax records and it showed her as the owner, with the married name as in my post. Thank you for the information. I will keep trying. Al.

Only thing I see on line is that she may still be alive (in a nursing home). One of those "pay for info" sites shows a Shirley Bradford age 92 in dallas with relatives of Frederick and Michael (maybe husband and son, or 2 sons). Try the phone book, but probably dozens with those names in Dallas area.

Only thing I see on line is that she may still be alive (in a nursing home). One of those "pay for info" sites shows a Shirley Bradford age 92 in dallas with relatives of Frederick and Michael (maybe husband and son, or 2 sons). Try the phone book, but probably dozens with those names in Dallas area.

Thanks Sarge8, I will follow up on that. Al.

• 5 months later...

Hi hirsca,

I am a friend of Shirley Bradford's. She is a remarkable woman, and is indeed still with us.

Shirley talks about her time in the war, which is fascinating. My Dad, especially enjoyed discussing her time in the English trains treating wounded as a nurse. He happened to be stationed in England in the late 50's and so they found some common ground.

I spoke to Shirley Sunday. She was lamenting that she had no personal belongings save some photos. I can't imagine an "estate" sale while one is living. Her two sons live on the East and West coasts, so I'm sure that was convenient.

I don't know if her wartime keepsakes are precious to her or not.

I was interested to learn she was Jewish, and of Russian descent. She never mentioned this to me, although we have talked about all kinds of things over the course of our friendship.

She is a real treasure. Wise, witty and gracious. Still sharp at 92. A tiny woman with a big presence.

erockgirl

Hello erockgirl. Well, it's good news to hear that Shirley is alive and well. Yes, estate sales are often conducted when the owner or owners move into assisted living. The duffle bag and Jewish Holy Scriptures were the only items related to the military that were in the house. The duffle bag was on the floor in the garage and the Holy Scriptures were in with a pile of books. If there were any other keepsakes of hers, they must have been kept by the family or sold prior to my wife and I getting to the sale. I no longer am in possession of the items. I passed them on to a collector of named items of veterans of the Jewish faith. The good news as I see it, they are now in good hands, being appreciated and being preserved as a part of our country's history. Thanks, Al.

• 7 months later...
Bclifford2425

Hi Hirsca,

I am Shirley Bradfords God daughter. I haven't seen her in at least 8 years but I have finally tracked her down. I know she did not get to choose what items she kept from her home and I would like to get in contact with the collector to see if he would be willing to let me purchase those items from him.