HGU-33 VF-51... maybe.

thevespabandit

thevespabandit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HGU-33-P-JET-PILOT-HELMET-SIZE-LARGE/111471264544?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D28409c79913543bab9768cd9db6996de%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140602152332%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D390849690555

Saw this pop up guys... I'm not convinced on this one. The helmet looks period correct however the liner on the inside doesn't look from the right era. but more importantly, the screaming eagle isn't as elaborate as I've seen on others...

Thoughts?

To me, there are a couple of problems with this helmet if it is an HGU-33/P.

1- It doesn't look like the liner fits into the helmet (It is the correct two piece custom poured liner in the very early HGU-33). Seems like the liner is too big for the shell (Just might be the way it is photographed.

2- The earphones should be H87-B/U which have a series of small holes and the earphones in this helmet are USAF (H-143/AIC).

3- The HGU-33/P did not use the "Pony Tail" out the rear (like the APH-6). The HGU-33/P used the CX-4708 "Y" cord and there was a hole in the shell (Rubber grommet) on the wearers left side where the comms lead was attached to the shell).

4- Chin strap is missing (as stated in listing). These often did not use a nape strap.

5- Per Navy Regulations, that tape job would not be allowed. 90% of the helmet is to be covered in WHITE reflective tape and this is almost all red. That said, it looks like a period, rigger created tape job.

6- When the edge roll is present, the straight in oxygen mask bayonets are not used and the "Offset" bayonets would be used to accommodate the edge roll. The o-mask receivers are setup for straight-in Bayonets. But... this isn't 100% true and from the visor, this was used with the MS-22001 mask.

While this is not a standard HGU-33/P, it could be a late APH-6 transitional helmet or it could be a T&E helmet used to evaluate the DH-151 design (standardized as the HGU-33/P).

For me...the first reaction I had was the tape looks brand new. The o mask receivers show more wear than the tape. I'm not real comfortable with it.

I would agree. The communications isn't right for an HGU33/P. The edge roll shows a lot of wear yet the tape isn't scratched up at all. Hands to fire: this was put together from spare parts by someone who likes to tape helmets.

thevespabandit

Yeah there are quite a few discrepancies with this one unfortunately... At least whoever taped it was creative with the VF-51 markings though, we don't need more counterfeit VF-84 helmets flying around :-p