What are the top 3 most desirable EGAs?

cutiger83

That's ironic because there are a lot of EGA collectors out there stripping uniforms and disposing of them!

I don't like stripping uniforms, I tend to let EGA's go if they're on them

I have never even heard or seen an EGA until I watched "Pacific"...

That was about a year ago...

They do look awesome though...

I like the officer's ones....

With the gold background and the silver continents on the globe...

With the gold background and the silver continents on the globe...

Vice-versa...gold on silver

There are some fantastic officer variants out there...

teufelhunde.ret

That's ironic because there are a lot of EGA collectors out there stripping uniforms and disposing of them!

I have NEVER met or known of, an EGA collector who has done such a thing. Nor have I yet to meet a MARINE who would strip and dispose of a uniform!

I have NEVER met or known of, an EGA collector who has done such a thing. Nor have I yet to meet a MARINE who would strip and dispose of a uniform!

I think by dispose, he means sell/trade. I've encountered one or two who will take the collars and sell/trade the uniform, particularly if the uniform is unnamed. Similar to breaking up a group, I suppose.

How about this one for a top three? USMC Eagle, Globe, and Anchor Epaulette, c. 1868. Photos courtesy of the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

How about this one for a too three? 1892-1904.USMC Eagle, Globe, and Anchor Epaulette, c. 1868. Photos courtesy of the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

post-52581-0-24245800-1411840372.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

This is a pre 1890 emblem, I mentioned above in my list of three above. You will see more pics of it in the forthcoming EGA book I recently finished editing.

Anything pre-1900 really, and anything by the well known jewelers like Tiffany, Link, and Bailey Banks and Biddle. J.R. Gaunt stuff ranks up there in class as well.

Mike

I think by dispose, he means sell/trade. I've encountered one or two who will take the collars and sell/trade the uniform, particularly if the uniform is unnamed. Similar to breaking up a group, I suppose.

Yes, that's what I meant: dispose of as in sell the stripped uniform. Have no idea if the collectors were Marines or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that a silver eagle and applied gold continents on a bullion anchor and globe? Never seen this one before!!

Brig,

That is the Georce C Reid emblem, it is already featured in Cureton's "Civil War Uniforms - United States Marine Corps - The Regulations of 1859" book. The scan of the device below is also pictured (Jack McCord Collection). The book is a must have reference for the Marine Reference section.

Mike

post-1315-0-72152200-1413646236.jpg

Well, look at that. I'm glad there are still EGA's out there I haven't seen yet, keeps it exciting

I'll have to pick up a copy of that book

Well, look at that. I'm glad there are still EGA's out there I haven't seen yet, keeps it exciting

I'll have to pick up a copy of that book

Tim,

I was quite surprised at having a looksie of Fred Bruier's upcoming book, quite a bit of never before seen pieces, variations, and one of a kind pieces from the top collections over the past 20-30 years. A lifelong analytical study that is thick with research. It blew me away just how much is out there that hasnt been "seen".

Mike