USMC P1918 TUNIC/UNIFORM, 2nd DIV, 6TH MACHINE GUN CO.

teufelhunde.ret

That guy has been peddling junk for a while now.

How do these people maintain a 100% feedback rating if they have been peddeling junk for quite awhile now?

teufelhunde.ret
How do these people maintain a 100% feedback rating if they have been peddeling junk for quite awhile now?

911 positive feedback pinch.gif What are those folks thinking?

Because the buyers want to think it's the real thing and once they actually pay that kind of money they are never going to believe anything to the contrary. You never see folks coming on this forum and saying "I just paid $800 for something, can you guys now tell me if it's real?" It will look good in their collection and the "greater fool" theory says that when they decide to unload it, they will have no problem finding a willing buyer. Remember: you can sell fakes and get a 100% feedback rating as long as you don't overcharge for shipping.

911 positive feedback pinch.gif What are those folks thinking?

All that the positive feedback means is:

-The item is the same as the one in the photo

-The guy didn't short me on shipping/handling costs

-The guy sent it within a reasonable amount of time

And that's all. Having lots of feedback is ABSOLUTELY NO guarantor of authenticity.

Unfortunately, a lot of eBayers think that it is and get taken by it.

Some people would say it's eBay's fault and use it as yet another way to bash a pretty decent system...I just say (as this thread started) caveat emptor...

Dave

teufelhunde.ret
SSI looks like crap too.....................

John

It does have that "odd" appearance, as well as the stitching think.gif

I can't find it now, but I believe there is a patch thread showing a similar patch and it is indicated in there the patch is a fake/repro. Like i said, I can't find it now, but I'll keep looking later and post the link if I do.

The tunic is most likely the only original part of this setup, and I am in agreement with the above comments in regards to the rest of the uniform. I would not give this uniform a second look. thumbdown.gif

S/F,

Chuck

That guy has been peddling junk for a while now.

Are you referring specifically to his USMC items?

I've seen items from him turn up on more than one reputable dealer site.

For example, I see AGM bought a WWI North Russia coat from him for $205. Now in the latest AGM catalog (at $675).

Thanks for highlighting this uniform for us. It's just this sort of information those of us not in the know need. Very highly appreciated! :)

-Ski

It does have that "odd" appearance, as well as the stitching think.gif

The stitching looks to be done on a modern machine. Plus, the patch doesn't come close to any in period pictures, both in terms of construction and materials. If I were to hazard a guess, that patch most likely came out of Pakistan or somewhere similar. Just my two cents on it, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

John

Because the buyers want to think it's the real thing and once they actually pay that kind of money they are never going to believe anything to the contrary. You never see folks coming on this forum and saying "I just paid $800 for something, can you guys now tell me if it's real?" It will look good in their collection and the "greater fool" theory says that when they decide to unload it, they will have no problem finding a willing buyer. Remember: you can sell fakes and get a 100% feedback rating as long as you don't overcharge for shipping.

Thats it isn't it.

People can not admit their mistakes.

I think a lot of people see that an auction has been bid on and think "What does the bidder know that I don't" and then competitive streak sets in an bingo, lots of money spent on a FAKE.

Its only natural, I mean who admits to being a douche?

teufelhunde.ret
The stitching looks to be done on a modern machine. Plus, the patch doesn't come close to any in period pictures, both in terms of construction and materials. If I were to hazard a guess, that patch most likely came out of Pakistan or somewhere similar. Just my two cents on it, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

John

From what I've read here, this is the general consensus of the entire uniform.

Well, it sold at its $1000+ Buy It Now price to an "advanced collector" - as mentioned in his own "about me" page.

With vintage USMC material, I must be honest in stating that nothing has helped me more than Ancestry.com. Months ago there was a USMC first sergeant's dress blues with five medals on auction that dated to 1914. Its collars had not been punched so its use was pre-1922. I looked up the supplied name only to find that the person in question served from 1918 to late 1921 and "made" private (he was in the Virgin Island and Stateside his entire career). Weeks after being sold, the uniform must have been returned, and was up for sale once more stating the stripes had been added on and the medals were repros - selling for $500 than it garnered the first time. USMC is a rewarding field, but a buyer really has to sidestep quite a few landmines.

Ken